HOW TO COOK A TURKEY??

Hi ladies this will be my first year cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Any tricks out there for a super moist and tender turkey. In fact how do you cook a turkey all together???

nicoal4

Asked by nicoal4 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• get one with the pop up thingy to tell you its done. Very helpful. Dont stuff it. That only makes it take longet to cook. make stuffing on the side. I use the oven bags (reynolds makes them) and it helps keep the turkey juicy. Also letting it rest at least 20mins before carving allows the juices to reabsorb. I put butter and s/p on the inside and outside of the bird and then a few sprigs of herbs-parsley, rosemary, etc. and garlic inside the cavity before putting in the ovenbag and baking. no need to chop any of the herbs. Just stuff a few in there and forget about it. but you can smash the garlic cloves a bit to release more flavor.
    Dont forget to remove the giblets from the inside of the bird
    keep in mid that a frozen turkey takes about 4-6 days to thaw in the frige
    expect to cook a 16lb bird about 3-4 hrs at 350degrees.
    ChandaAnna

Answer by ChandaAnna at 12:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• First year Thanksgiving - hey Congrats! Go to dollar tree and buy pans now. Make your sides ahead. Place in freezer wrapped well and thaw. Yes you can freeze green bean cassarole, thaw and add onion topping, sweet potato cassarole, thaw add marshmellos if using, or a pecan sugar topping. Make turkey broth now, for gravey and freeze. Thaw, add drippings and thicken. Do not buy cranberry sauce in a can. Get fresh cranberries, and fresh oranges, make it the day before. I do believe recipe on back of bag of fresh cranberries. Use it as a guide, taste it, and improvise. There are recipes where you make mashed potatos ahead, with cream cheese and freeze. I like fresh. I make with butter, and heavy cream. I heat before I add to potatos or potatos will not have the best texture. do not boil cream and butter just get it hot. Trick with gravey, buy kikkomens teriaki sauce. Add some to the gravey, little at a time and taste. Wonderful.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• First turkey buy a butterball self basting and have at it. Go to their website they will tell you exactly how to do it. Do not get a fresh turkey unless you are going to brine it. I don't care what the bird says on thawing time - allow an extra day at least. Still frozen? Run cold water on it. Stuffing from a stuffed turkey tastes best, but by the time the stuffing reaches a safe temp, the breast is way over done. Always rest a small turkey at least 30 min, and a large turkey at least 40 min, or you could lose up to 3% of juice. Don't ever baste last half hour, as it will make the skin not as crisp.Good Luck!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Best thing you can do for a great tasting turkey is to soak it in salt water the night before you cook it. We line a 5 gallon paint bucket a plastic kitchen trash bag. Fill it with a little warm water, about 1/2c - 1c. of salt & stir to dissolve. Put the turkey in neck end down & fill the rest of the way with cold water to completely cover the turkey. I sort of wiggle him around in there to get some water down in the big open cavity. We have a fridge in our garage, so we put him in there for the night. Next morning, I rinse him, pat dry, stuff, rub him down with butter & put him in the roasting pan on top of 3 stalks of celery laid across the bottom of the pan. (helps to lift out easier without sticking. Lastly, I add a couple chicken bouillon cubes, couple of quartered onions & a couple hands full of baby carrots. All the veggies makes the drippings perfectly favored for great gravy. Tent with foil, or use a bag. Best Wishes!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009