Is it possible my 18 month old still needs his pacifier?

I try taking it away during the night but then he sleeps really light. Tosses and turns a lot more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he use it during the day too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• DD's 18 months and we still let her have it for naps and bedtime. I don't think 18 months is that bad. I want to try to get rid of it by or shortly after she turns 2. I've seen our neighbors DD outside with one in her mouth and she's 5! Now THAT'S bad!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP- he only uses it for naps and bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• does he NEED it ...probably not. And i believe that the sooner you break the habit the better. waiting until he's older isn't going to make it easier, but probably more difficult.
    He's sleeping lighter because something that he relies on for comfort is not with him. Have you tried giving him a very special stuffed animal or a toy to replace his comforter? Of course, that's only half the problem. the other half is that he is used to having it in his mouth so he's going to want that oral stimulation.
    I say, if you are looking to break him of the pacifier do it now.
    If you don't really care, ...then keep him on it. It's not a big deal. Especially because you say he only uses it when sleeping so you know it's not interfering with his diet or speech.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It could be. Possibly a comfort thing. We were finally able to ditch the binky at age 2 with our little guy. We evolved from it slowly. Only using it at naps and bedtime, then only at bedtime, then gone for good.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I used a paci till I was 3 (naps and bedtime) my teeth are perfect and it didn't affect my speech development. I would let your 18 month keep his paci for nap time and bedtime.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My little dumpling is 16 months old, and she uses her paci for naps and bedtime. Her teeth are fine. In my opinion, I think you should allow him to use it for a bit longer. He's obviously not addicted to it.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• take the paci away from your baby, they dont neeeeed it. its a comfort thing for them, so just find something else that he would like. maybe you can buy him a toy for a trade maybe. I took my sons pacifier away at 12 months, threw it out and he cried for it a for a couple of days and then forgot about it. They get used to not having the paci quick. gl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I was thinking about getting rid of my sons binky and talked to my husband about it. This is our first (of 5) that has ever needed a binky, so it is new to us. He has been throwing fits lately, and if it is at nap time or bed time, he has been throwing his binky and Coo (his Cow) out of his crib and then screaming to get them back, just so he can throw them again. Anyway, yesterday, I didn't give into the fit, and he fell asleep (for nap) without either. I asked DH if he thinks we should just get rid of it, and he said "No, let him be a baby for just a little longer." I loved that response. Does your 18 month old NEED his binky? I doubt it. A couple days of crying and then it would be over BUT... why? Our little guy is 16 months. It might be tougher later on, but really who cares? Tough now or though then. Let him have his binky. You don't get these years back.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• He definitely may want it during the night. However, if you've already gone through the hassle of getting rid of it, giving it back and then taking it away again might be an extra challenge. Many kids sleep better with them, and I won't take my daughter's away at nap/bed time until she's 2, but I wouldn't want to traumatize the kid or make him confused by giving it back only to take it away again. Once you've jumped that hurdle, don't go back!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2009