Pacifiers - Pros/Cons and When to Use?

I have a 2 week old baby and have negative feelings towards pacifiers. But should I? Are they, overall, helpful or harmful? I tend to think of them as an easy way out tool but they are so popular... Any input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pro- pacifiers may reduce sudden infant death (MAY is good enough for me)
    Con- Weaning your child may be difficult.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I did to i fought it every step but I caved after about a week. I also read an article on how they are sid preventers. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well just another habit to break... ahhh motherhood lol
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I am very anti pacifier too. However, ...in almost all studies of "back to sleep" to prevent SIDS the pacifier was one of the major differences. Studies are suggesting that pacifiers may prevent SIDS. BUT, if you BF your child you are already preventing them from SIDS and a pacifier may interfere with breastfeeding.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• http://www.drgreene.com/21_2051.html article about pacifiers and sids, exceprt below

Currently, there is no strong evidence that pacifiers prevent SIDS, or if they do – how they work. But that there is a connection between the two has now been soundly proven, and it may be that pacifiers are one of the most important preventive health measures ever devised. Or not.

Similarly, there is now considerable evidence that pacifier use is associated with decreased breastfeeding. But again, which causes which? Perhaps pacifiers discourage breastfeeding. Perhaps babies who are weaning are fussier and more likely to be given a pacifier. Neither has been proven.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I do not use pacifiers. I haven't felt a need to with my 13 month old. She has never had a bottle, either. All of her sucking was done at the breast, and it has helped me a lot. I do think that pacis are an easy way out, BUT sometimes they are decent. I would consider one for in the car only, if I had a screamer in the car.

If you are going to use a pacifier, most lactation people agree that 4-6 weeks and no earlier is when to introduce. This is to ensure that breastfeeding and supply are established. I know many people say they had no trouble going earlier. I listened to them with my first, and we had awful nipple confusion. You don't know if your kid will be affected. Mine was, and it was awful to deal with. I wish I had just waited a couple of weeks.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ques, do you breastfeed? If you do, I would say Con-doesn't help with feeding. Pro-gives you a rest.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Some babies really take to a pacifier some do not. My oldest never took one but my youngest really has a strong sucking reflex.

Here it is from the Mayo Clinic:

The pros
    For some babies, pacifiers are the key to contentment between feedings. Consider the advantages:

A pacifier may soothe a fussy baby. Some babies are happiest when they're sucking on something.
    A pacifier offers temporary distraction. When your baby's hungry, a pacifier may buy you a few minutes to find a comfortable spot to nurse or to prepare a bottle. A pacifier may also come in handy during shots, blood tests or other procedures.
    A pacifier may help your baby fall asleep. If your baby has trouble settling down, a pacifier might do the trick.
    Pacifiers may help reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Researchers have found an association between pacifier use during sleep and a reduced risk of SIDS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The cons
    Early pacifier use may interfere with breast-feeding. Sucking on a breast is different from sucking on a pacifier or bottle. Some babies have trouble learning how to nurse properly if they're given a pacifier too soon.
    Your baby may become dependent on the pacifier. If your baby uses a pacifier to sleep, you may face frequent middle-of-the-night crying spells when the pacifier falls out of your baby's mouth.
    Pacifier use may increase the risk of middle ear infections. However, rates of middle ear infections are generally lowest from birth to age 6 months — when the risk of SIDS is the highest and your baby may be most interested in a pacifier.
    Prolonged pacifier use may lead to dental problems. Normal pacifier use during the first few years of life doesn't cause long-term dental problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i was anti paci and bottle, then i tried it because the nurse said he has a good suck. this little boy will suck on anything! i breastfeed and when i don't feel good my mom helps me out and gives him either my milk that i pumped or a supplement and he gets a paci when he's fussy. all babies are different though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I don't do pacis. It's better for baby to get comfort from the breast. I can see how they would be a good comfort sucking replacement for babies not breastfeeding... but, like bottles, that should be an absolute last resort.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2009