Have you ever received FAFSA or scholarships?

I am applying for tons online and i cant help but wonder how many people applied and if i even have a chance. Have you won one? How much was it? Where was it from? Did they transfer it to your school or send you a check? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

By the way i already got FAFSA. I dont really understand it but it said i qualified for 5,350.00. Does that mean i get sent that money?

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 12:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• AS far as FAFSA, it means the institution(college, university) will get it you will get whatever is leftover (if any).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I got FAFSA as well as a scholarship. The scholarship was for $3,000 and it was from Walmart. (my mother works there, I think someone in your immediate family would have to be an Assoicate there and there is a certain GPA criteria) It came as a check and went to the school's financial aid offce. I also got FAFSA for that same amount. Like PP said, the institution will get it and pay for your tuition and fees (like books or room and board) and like a month or two into the semester they will send you whatever funds are left over. However, the 5350.00 will get divided into the two terms. (However, this is how it was for me, im not sure if its like that in every state at every college)
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I got 15k a year in scholarship money, and like 2k a year in grant money. I went to a private school though, so tuition was quite a bit.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I did apply for FAFSA and received Stafford loans, as well as, a government Grant. I think my grant was around $5,000 per school year as a full time student. I did not receive any scholarships.

The money is generally sent to the college/university, but you can tell your school that if there is money left over after your graduate degree to either send it to you or send it back to the lender. I preferred it to be sent back to the lender so that it was that much less of a loan amount I had to pay back. I also pay my interest charges each time I receive a notice from my loans so that it doesn't keep accruing and increase my overall monthly payment when it comes time to pay.

As far as repayment, you generally have 6 months after you stop/finish school to start paying on your student loans. They do this so you have time to find a job after graduating.

Best wishes to you!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (known as the FAFSA) is a form that can be filled out annually by current and anticipating college students (both undergraduate and graduate) in the United States to determine their eligibility for federal student financial aid (including Pell grants, Stafford loans, PLUS loans, and work-study programs). The Department of Education begins accepting the application beginning Jan. 1 of each year. Applicants who have filled out a FAFSA in previous years are able to fill out a renewal FAFSA, but information on taxes and savings, for example, must be updated annually.  In addition, most states and schools use information from the FAFSA to award non-federal aid.

You don't get FAFSA and file a FAFSA to determine your need.  You get grants, loans and work study based on your need.  It is just the form you fill out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You don't get FAFSA and file a FAFSA to determine your need. You get grants, loans and work study based on your need. It is just the form you fill out.

The results will be sent to the college that you specified. Contact the financial aid office. You may have to submit additional info like you tax forms & w-2. The grant money will be applied towards tuition & books. If there is any left, it will be refunded to you. Grants do not need to be repaid. Loans must be repaid
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes, FAFSA is the form, not the money. You have to fill it out in order to get loans or grants.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I did and got more than I needed. I was a single mom at the time, and no child support so I was dirt poor! It seems the more financially challenged you are the more grants you get. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009