I have a horrible diet and I breastfeed...help.

I think I'm a really bad mom because I can't force myself to eat green foods if I tried! I do eat a lot of fast food, a lot of sweets, fats, etc.
The healthiest thing I consume is fruit. Honestly, I thought my body would just spout out healthy milk for my baby, but then I read all these books and articles about the importance of eating healthy. I feel so bad. I don't care about my waistline, but I don't want to deprive my baby of nutrients.
I have a lot of stress, so I eat to cope. I'm 20-25 lbs overweight.
What damage have I done (baby is 8 mos)????
Help me, any suggestions? What if I start taking a lot of vitamins and supplements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what I've read you're really just hurting yourself. Your body will deplete what little stores of vitamins and minerals it has to make the milk leaving YOU in much worse shape then you where to begin with. I'd AT LEAST start taking a multi vitamin or prenatal vitamin. Try to start turning you diet around a little at a time.

So I think baby is probably more or less getting what they need but leaving you with nothing... I could be wrong about this though!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• well, the way i understand it (and i'm sure people will correct me if i'm wrong) is that all your BEST "stuff" goes to the baby thru the breast milk. also, you are probably already taking your prenatal vitamin which should also help a bit. i think the important thing at this point is to make sure the BABY is eating healthy now...at 8 months they should be on baby food and cereal and finger foods. dont get them into the same eating pattern that you are in. and i am by no means a health nut, i'm nursing and i still eat quite a bit of "junk" as well.

keep eating fruit, maybe try veggie dip (that helps me eat veggies) and if you eat a lot of fast food, try to get the "healthier" stuff

if your baby wasn't thriving on what you were providing, you'd know it by now. cut yourself some slack, i'm sure they'll be fine :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• There are ways to eat healthy without even knowing it. Like adding cheese to almost any veggie dish you can make! mmmm. i love cheese.
    For the health of your baby you should exercise more self control. I doubt that eating habits are so bad that it will cause any long term effects. However, you might be compromising your child's health right now. Also, if you have these bad eating habits, how are you going to teach your baby how to eat healthy once he/she starts eating table foods?
    I understand fastfood addiction. I really do. I have a problem with it myself. Try to pack healthy snacks along with you. Learn how to cook the foods you crave. I hardly ever want Taco Bell now because i think my tacos are WAY better then theirs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Remember YOU need the vitamins and minerals to have the energy to run after LO. You also need it for your future. You don't want to be a burden to you child when they are an adult because you didn't want to take care of yourself.

I understand your only hurting yourself by not eating right. What about dipping veggies in hummus. Make your own cheese sauce to dip. Good luck!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Love the above non-judgmental answers! :o)

I agree with the above. I'm surprised your Dr didn't tell you, but many women continue to take prenatal vitamins because most of us don't eat a perfect diets. Just do your best, include healthy foods when you can. If you like cheese (as pp said) add it your veggies. Yum! Keep up with the fruits. Hopefully I can follow my own advice. ;o)

If you baby is thriving you're doing great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Take vitamins. You mention that you like fruit, so make yourself some fruit smoothies and add greens to it, the fruit will mask the flavor.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Get the book "Deceptively Delicious". It has a lot of really good recipes that include vegetables and you never even taste the vegies! I also drink the V8 fusion that has a serving of fruit and vegetables in an 8 oz glass. It tastes really good. My 4 year old loves it. Also prenatals. Those help out a lot.
    Over all don't stress too much about it! Your baby will be alright! You have given her the best! Relax and enjoy her while she is little.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I have a horrible diet too (which has been even worse since now I have a newborn & don't have time to cook). The least you can do is take prenatal vitamins & keep up the fruit...but you can try to add to that as well! You mention liking fast food...well most of them offer some sort of "healthy" something or other...like a fruit salad instead of fries, or milk instead of soda, etc. Try starting off with that. Also, stop by a smoothie bar & get the extra nutrient boosts they offer (my doctor said for me to get the protein boost in my jamba juice smoothies since I lack a lot protein foods at the moment). You can also have them add some greens & you wont taste them at all (really, I was skeptical, but it's true!). Your baby is fine, but the diet is going to affect you & your ability to care for your LO in other ways. Good luck mama, you can do it!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well you should continue, or start if you haven't been, to take your prenatal vitamin. And since I don't do very well with veggies either I've started drinking V8 VFusion- it has fruits & veggies. You could also add a little salsa into your meals. There's also a veggie bar you could try, here's a site w/ a ton of different recipes: http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,veggie_bars,FF.html.
    And then just keep a lot of healthy snacks on hand for when you stress eat- granola bars, raisins, trail mix, baby carrots, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc. And don't beat yourself up too bad, your baby is probably fine since your body will actually steal nutrients from you in order to provide for your baby. And if your baby wasn't thriving your ped. would've let you know as your baby would probably have poor weight gain &/or other health issues.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 2:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You will do more harm by passing these bad eating habits onto your child when they start eating solid foods. Just change your habits... start slowly. Rein back the fast food and replace it with fresh food. Doesn't have to be veggies, fruit is perfectly healthy... lean meats and fish, whole grains, beans, legumes, full-fat dairy products, etc.... Anything that doesn't come from a box, a can or a drive-thru should be your first goal. Then, work from there. Read labels. They will make you sick. Once you start eating healthy, you won't want to go back.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2009