Nipple Shield

I just wanted to know what everyone's opinions on the nipple shield are.

My LO is only 5 days old and I am having a really hard time getting him to latch on correctly. I went to a lactation specialist today and I thought it helped but once I got home, it stopped helping. I am really stressing out about this cause I really want to breast feed him but I feel like he isn't getting enough to eat. I know a lot of the problem is that he'll get latched on and then after a few minutes I need to take him off because I'm hurting so bad and get him to latch again and he won't eat after that. So he really only eats for about 10 mins at a time. Both of my nipples are extremely sore, my right one cracked a little yesterday and bleed a small amount today.

I really feel like a failure about this. I know part of it is that I am getting a little of post pardon depression. Please help!!!

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I regret not getting one. I was in so much pain that when it was time to nurse, I would stare at him for like a minute and think about the pain I was going to endure. I didn't enjoy it the first 2 weeks cuz bad latches messed up my nipples. Consider going back to the LC until you got the hang of it. It's not easy. If you can afford it, ask the LC to come to your home.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• the day my sons pediatrician introduced me to the nipple sheild everything changed. that was the best little contraption ever! I would have quit BFIng without it, it was so painful for me. Keep trying, its takes some time to get used to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i used the nipple shield and it worked really well!! i used it becuz i have an inverted nipple, so i only used it on one side but she didnt have any problems with it at all...i actually think she latched on better with that, then she did on the other side where i didnt use one...i dont see anything wrong with using them to prevent sore/cracked nipples..i would if i was still BF..i got one from the LC..or you can get them from target for 4 or 5 dollars..good luck and dont give up, it will get better!!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 1:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Just be careful nipple shields can mess with your milk supply.

My breasts hurt really bad when I nursed all four of my babies for the first couple weeks (my left side always gets a blood blister OUCH). They were latched on correctly. I think it's funny how they say if they're latched on right it doesn't hurt, because trust me it can if you have a strong sucker. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• First of all mom you are not a failure. You have a 5 day old baby and he is learning how to suckle and you are learning to breastfeed which is a very challenging process. I had issues with my left breast when my daughter was born. You can stimulate your nipple by rolling them between your thumb and fore finger, that helps in getting a rise also a nipple sheild does work magic. If you can get to Babies R Us , look for a sheild that is soft to the touch because there are so many different sheilds out there. Once you get your sheild hold it under warm water to soften the latex/plastic which should help with him latching on. Don't freak out if you think he is not getting enough and if you are still worried, try pumping your milk which can help take some pressure off your breast. Good Luck sweetie and if you need more help please PM so we can talk via the phone cause its so much easier to describe over the phone.
    mom2hailie

Answer by mom2hailie at 1:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Thank you ladies! I am gonna go to Target tomorrow and get one, I'll just have to suffer one more night.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 2:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• it gets better, i promise. i'm actually nursing my 2 week old this very minute. the hospital gave me sweet oil, it's just olive oil. use some on your nipples after everytime you nurse. my nipples bled the first few days, but now they are much better and it only hurts the first minute or so when he latches on.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Lanolin is what i use to keep my nipples i tact. my lil man is 5 days old as well and a very strong sucker. the PP was right, it can hurt when he's really hungry. i don't know about a shield, never really thought about it but i did talk to a lactation consultant before i left the hospital. one of the things she told me is that every baby is different. some need 5-10 minutes some need 30-45 minutes. if you talk to the specialist again, maybe see if you can determine which side of those lines your baby fits into so you know how much your baby was actually missing out. it could be he only feeds for 10-15 and that's why he wouldn't relatch. there could be other explainations for what's going on rather than blaming it all on you. it won't help anyone especially you and your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i LOVED LOVED LOVED my nipple shield. things were so rough in the beginning. she wasnt latching on right and my nipples were sore and cracked and bleeding and it was just so awful. i wanted to cry every time i thought about breastfeeding. so i finallly caved in and used a nipple shield and it saved me.i stopped using it at about 2 months. but i would def give it a try =)
    loves_her_baby

Answer by loves_her_baby at 7:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009