Pagans and other non-Christians (may or may not apply to Atheists)

According to the bible God is good. He is nothing but good. Ultimate perfection. And Satan is evil. Nothing but evil. Ultimate destruction and terror.
(please correct me if i am wrong). :)

Do you believe this to be possible? Is it possible for there to be "beings" that exist that are only good or only evil?

Personally, I do not believe this. All things are part good and part evil. Somethings may choose to express one aspect more then the other, but it does not mean they are incapable or that they never are the opposite of their choosing. (and maybe choosing isn't the best word. ...)

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There needs to be a duality. That is a huge problem with American Christianity. There is no duality. God is fantastic end of story. That is not how it's supposed to be. That does not make transcendence.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• See homework two weeks ago ;)

And to say it again - if god is wholly good and omnipotent, and he knows there is absolutely no way to create the universe without including evil in some form, either by allowing free will or by virtue of people needing the evil to appreciate and understand the good, isn't creating that world against his nature? If he is to be wholly good, it should not be possible for him to create a world with evil, even necessary evil. Rather, it would be his nature, as a wholly good being, to not create the universe at all. The very existence of the universe disproves the concept of a monotheistic, wholly good, omnipresent, and onmipotent creator.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• And for those who are going to get their knickers in a twist and not read the whole thing properly - that says it disproves a WHOLLY GOOD creator, not that it proves your whole religion is wrong (the argument of religion as a man made construct is a whole nother question)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• nope I don't believe that. It is part of the reason I am no longer Christian.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Thank you NP. i agree 100% with your answer. That's exactly what i believer as well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• no. I don't believe in ultimate good vs. ultimate evil.. Because it depends on the perspective of the people around.. in my eyes, God (although I don't believe in him) is not ultimately Good. He's killed people, drowned them, tortured them, blinded them.. He's also given life, sacrificed his son for the better of man, etc. See no pure good or evil. Satan, open up our eyes, Fought to prove God isn't purely Good, but also tortured people, and spread lies... he isn't purely evil or good.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• No, I don't believe in 'absolute good vs absolute evil.' This is one of the reasons why, although I do like aspects of Christianity, I don't feel I meet the entrance criteria to be a Christian! I tend to think that labels like 'good' and 'evil' are mental constructs rather than actual features of reality... we use them because they help us to build a construct of the world, but that doesn't make them literally real.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think those that do believe in pure good or evil are a little blinded by the love they have, or hatred they have for these things, to the point where they will forgive and forget, or blame and blame, so that in their own eyes there is only good and evil... really it's not a healthy trait. You need to be able to love someone for all their faults, or personalities, and acknowledge both the good and bad in them... to truly be able to appreciate them and understand them. Otherwise your adoration is blinded, and you aren't loving the individual, but your IDEA of the individual.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• No I don't believe in this concept at all. Considering this "wholly good" creator created evil to begin with.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Doesn't that put Satan on an equal footing with God?

I don't really believe in the whole God/Satan thing but I don't believe that something can be all good or all evil.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2009