2 questions on feeding baby

1) i started my 6 month old on baby food in jars when she was about 5 months old. ( her dr . said it was ok) she does fine with it. but i was wondering how often and how much jar food i should be giving her( she of course still drinks formula and i'm only using jar food as a "supplement". and i know the rules about waiting between trying new foods in case of allergies etc ) but still how often and how much should i be giving of the foods she's done ok with. i asked her dr and he really didnt give me an answer.

2) i'd like to start pureeing some foods we adults eat, in a blender for her( just fruits and veggies that come in a can) any advice, safety concerns i should know about this? thanks

april8581

Asked by april8581 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start out giving food once a day then add another mealtime. I usually kept feeding my sons until they did not want anymore. They didn't open mouth, turned head away, etc. Eventually they ate the whole jar of #1 foods. When they had tried all the #1 foods and were eating pretty much the whole jar, I got #2 foods. These are bigger jars, and there is more of a variety of foods.
    I am not sure about putting adult foods in a blender for your baby.
    Good luck and have fun!
    my2littlemms

Answer by my2littlemms at 1:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Don't worry about how much, nutrition comes from breastmilk or formula at this point and food is just for fun. My DD never had jar food and went straight to table/solids as she expressed interest.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would suggest one of those mini chops. A blender is too big and hard to clean. You know how to introduce foods, so blend up the pot roast, roast chicken, How much do you give? Feed baby, and when baby turns away, enough is enough. Doctor can't tell you, he's not there. You are there, and when baby shows I am full you stop. Good Luck!!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 1:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• When are your meals? That's when I'd give her a little bit.

Why puree what you're eating? Dice it up and fix a little plate for her. She has to learn to eat real food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think the rule of thumb is that once she is eating more than 4 tablesppons at the meal, you can go ahead and ad another meal to the day.
    If you are interested in making her babyfood yourself, Anabel Karmel has made some really good books on how to start. I forget the titles, but you can find them at the library. They have pictures, gives you advice on when to start with the different foods and what equipment you need. It is really easy.
    As far as tablefoods, she will probably be ready to eat little pieces of soft bread, cooked vegetables, and dices soft fruit when she is around 8 months. Canned food has a lot of salt in it, and babies can not have very much salt.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2009