fussy, gassy, constipated baby.

my baby is 5 weeks old, and he's very gassy and fussy. He hasn't been able to go poop for two whole days, going to three. I'm worried about it, but his pediatrician says that to just wait it out. he's being formula fed...
any advice???
I need help plz!

e.v._Mom-2-B

Asked by e.v._Mom-2-B at 1:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Boy do I remember when my baby was fussy didn't sleep cried all night long, I changed his bottle, I got him one of them bottle that vent out on the bottom that way they dont' get much air and make sure that the nipple is 0-3 months the hole is smaller that way the milk flow is not so fast, what I also did was add 2 table spoon of karo syrop to his bottle. If you want fast results then give the baby some apple juice and he/she should go in an hour or less. good luck momma, since I changed his bottles he slept and hasn't fussed since and he is now a year old.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Have you tried doing any baby massage. It may relax baby enough to at least make him not fussy. It is so hard with a new born - you are going through so many changes and to top it off you are extremely exhauseted. Good Luck. If you don't know any massage techniques, google it and you may find something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• gas drops?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Get that baby some real milk! Have you thought about relactating? It's not too late! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Hi There,

I feel your pain. My daughter, now 7 months old, went through that for the first 3 1/2 months of her life. You have quite a few options & every baby is different so you may have to try a few different things. First thing you might want to keep in mind is don't try and change too many things at one time. If you do it's hard to tell what's working & what's not. I had a really hard time with that and ended up kicking myself in the butt later. Below are some ideas for gas:
    WARM COMPRESS -
    warm a wet washcloth, place it in a ziplock bag, then put a burp cloth over it. Place the warm compress near your shoulder (where your baby's tummy would be) and then hold your baby up on your shoulder. The pressure and warmth should help alleviate the discomfort.

LEG KICKS -
    Place your baby on his back & gently move his legs in a bicycle motion.

cont. on post #2
    TMayes

Answer by TMayes at 3:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• TUMMY TIME -
    Make sure he is getting lots of tummy time during the day. It is easier for babies to pass gas when on their tummies. Also, a added bonus, this helps them to exercise their neck muscles.

MEDICATION (different ones work for different babies)
    Gripe water (was not successful for me but it has been for my friend's babies)
    Mylicon aka Simethicone drops
    Gas X aka Simethicon drops

FORMULA -
    If you are using regular formula (Similac Advance, or Enfamil Advance, ect) you might check around in your family to see if anyone has a lactose sensitivity. Be careful about putting him on soy because more people than not are actually sensitive to soy. If you have tried these above methods or feel that maybe he has a lactose sensitivity then try out similac sensitive or enfamil sensitive. Neither of them are lactose free, however, they are partially broken down for babies with a sensitivity but not full blown lactose intolerance
    TMayes

Answer by TMayes at 3:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• rub the tummy! do the bicycle move with the legs real fast, and then push one knee to the opposite side and HOLD - baby will NOT like it. but it works. I had 2 gassy babe's.

hand on the tummy, heel of the hand on the groin area so the fingers go past the belly button then do small clock wise sweeping strokes across the belly. it helps to get things moving in the right direction.

formula can make baby constipated and gassy too - can you change the brand? you sometimes have to do that - trial and error til you find one that works right (none of my kids could stomach the same brand)

and...... get a WRAP or a sling. but a wrap would be best, baby is in close contact with the body in the right position and as you move baby moves and the gas is expelled. check out babywearing sites like www.mamatoto.org for more info on baby wearing.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Give him a warm bath, then lay him flat on his back and gently rock his knees to and from his belly. This should help ease the gas out of his system. Do that for a little while, then turn him onto his belly with his knees tucked up under and gently pat his back. You can also lay him flat across your lap, or flat on his tummy, but having his knees tucked up will help release the gas. If those don't work, then you can try a small (maybe a Tsp or so) of prune juice to help release the gas from his body. Also, sometimes vibration helps release the gas and ease the discomfort. If you have a bouncer that vibrates, or you can buy a vibrating pad, put him in/on that and see if that helps ease out the gas.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009