I have to get some bloodwork done tomorrow and I need to fast for 12 hours. Does that mean no water also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Health

• What did you instructions say? My husband's said he could have water. Mine said nothing with caffeine...
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• He didn't say anything except fasting. I am having an A1C, Sed Rate, CBC, Lipids, ANA, and an autoimmune antibody panel, blood culture, tox screen, liver panel and endocrine panel ??. Not sure what the last one is. I will be pale tomorrow. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• From every fasting test I have ever done or have ever instructed my patients on (as a medical assistant) You are allowed to have water but not a whole lot.... meaning dont go chugging bottle after bottle but you can have a glass or two before the test. Im pretty sure that the same would apply to you... but you might want to call your Dr. in the morning and be sure.
    Annabelle_Lee

Answer by Annabelle_Lee at 5:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Water is perfectly fine Just no food Twelve Hours before the test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes, you can have water. Good luck on the bloodwork,Hon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think the only time you can't have water is when you fast before you are going under anethesia. I've never been told not to have water before a blood test, good luck.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I've had the majority of that done before.....I"ll drink some water if i'm thirsty, the "fasting" is generaly your sleeping, so stop eating 2 hours before bed, and then don't eat or drink in the AM, go straight for your blood work.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009