How do you feel about putting your teenage daughter on birth control?

Just curious. It can be a hot topic. What's been your experience with this?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 3:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes I would do it and have . It's better to be safe then sorry, no matter how innocent they seem to be or what they may tell you. We are still responsible for them!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think it would be giving her permission to have sex....but on the other hand if I knew my kid was having sex and I had no way to stop her, I guess it would be better than having her get pregnant and having an abortion. It's a toughie. I'd just hope to instill some values in my kid and tell her if she does get pregnant to PLEASE not kill the baby, that mama will help her with the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I can't answer for the mother of a teenage girl but I can say that as a mother of all boys, I hope to teach them values and self-control. However, I know that they are human and teenage boys are weak when it comes to urges of the flesh. I will drill safe sex into their brains but I can't be there in the moment and mistakes happen. So I hope that more mothers of teenage girls, protect their daughters from pregnancy. I hope some can get over the urge to shelter and see the need to protect. I will teach my boys that if a mistake happens, you take care of it. I will make sure that if they get a girl pregnant, then they will stand up and be a man. But it would help if the mothers of teenage girls took on some of the resposability so that it didn't all fall on the boys involved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my daughter will probably have endometriosis like i do and birth control will help her have lighter, less painful periods. i will make it clear that is what it is for and it is not a go-ahead for sex.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If any of my daughters were even considering having sex or were in a serious relationship with a boyfriend, I would bring up birth control with them and make sure that option was open to them. I would be sure they carried a condom in their purse, but explain about other types of birth control and their effectiveness. We all have an open relationship and I wouldn't force them into it unless they were reckless, but so far so good.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'm hoping all 3 of my daughters and I will have a close enough relationship with me when they're teens to tell me that they're sexually active, and in that case I'd take them to get birth control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Anon :28 ~ I like, and respect, your answer. I'm very proud of you and agree with you completely. Thank you for being a good mom.
    I'm doing well with my daughters who are pretty responsible for teens (my 18 & 15 year olds). They are learning from their 20 year old sister who had a boyfriend that kicked her to the curb when she announced she was pregnant and now she's on her own as a parent.
    We are helping her and she is pushing for child support, but it won't substitute for the fact that they both cared more for pleasure without considering the consequences.
    I do love our granddaughter, though. It's a new love undefined. But my daughter should have been financially able to have a baby first.
    Again, I thank you. ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My parents put me on it when I was fifteen. I told them look I am having sex. Of course they said it was something they didnt want me to do , but if I was going to I needed to be safe about it.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i would gladly do it, i would also need to then teach her about STD's too... and stress that she should use a condom to protect from it. i knew girls in high school have abortions. i would want to help her avoid that situation. i would be so glad that she could ask me for help. and i doubt i would tell the dad about it as they would freak about the little girl that she still would be in his mind. my mom offered to take me to get the pill in hs, but i didnt need it. and she also gave me my own insurance card if i should want to go by myself.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I put both my daughters on the pill. Studies show that about 90% of teenagers have had sex by the time they are 18 years old. Some are having sex as early as 12 and 13. I gave them the "I don't want you to have sex" lecture but felt better safe than sorry. One daughter was a virgin until college and the other had sex when she was 17. Their periods were lighter, painless, and their skin cleared up. Despite all the parental instructions NOT to have sex, kids are still doing it.

char944

Answer by char944 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2009