What are your familys Thanksgiving traditions, and how do you involve the kids?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 4:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It used to be, when my girls were little, that we would watch the Thanksgiving day parade by Macy's on tv while I prepared the food. It was pretty much a regular day for us except for the fancier than normal meal in the middle of the day. I always made too much food and the girls never even liked half of it...lol.
    When we moved to VA, close to DH family, we began going to his various family member's homes 2 hours south for dinner. I've always hated that, even though they are very nice people.
    This year there are too many of us for one vehicle and I announced that we are having our own family dinner at home again this year. I'm going to teach my 20 & 18 y/o DD's how to cook a turkey and I am only making a few side dishes.
    They don't like watching the parade anymore :( so they will either sleep in late or watch dvd's.
    It's just a relaxing day.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• JackieGirl007 ~ How about you sweetie? Do you have any traditions yet or are you getting ready to begin some? I think it's wonderful to have traditions ♥ Many people become disappointed when their babies grow up and become teens with agendas of their own, though. Then it becomes even harder when they become adults with their own families. I wish you a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving prelude to the great turkey day! {hugs}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i make the best sweet potato cassaroll and my son helps me mash them and cuts up the butter (with help) .. and of course - eating together.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We go to my mother or my aunts house for Thanksgiving (they alternate). If it's at my mother's house my Mom and I drink Bloody Mary's and cook/chop food all morning while my father and my husband play with the kids. Then when my Aunt and her family show up we talk, laugh, drink, and eat for the rest of the day.

-there's no need to bash the drinking here, no one gets drunk because we're all eating so much food and if you can't enjoy a cocktail on the holidays then when can you? We are all very responsible drinkers.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We just do something small at home. My mom use to be home for thanksgiving but she is a CNA, so she is never home. They always need her on thanksgiving and christmas.

But candided yams, stuffing,turkey, cranberry sauce, Cranberry relish, buns, mashed tatars and gravey.. Hmmmmmmm How I miss that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We are a military family FAR away from home, so last year, and this year, we are getting together with our friends and having Thanksgiving. They are basically family, and it's always much more fun to get drunk with your friends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We go to my sisters house. It is fabulous! She has a home on a wooded lot with a stream that runs behind it. The house is so cozy with a huge fire roaring in the fireplace and candles lit everywhere. The smells are amazing. It has a very Norman Rockwell feel that just kind of lends itself to the holidays. My two older DD's go there the night before and help with preparations. They enjoy time with their cousins. I bring rolls, pie and buy the stuffing mix for her to make. We eat, drink and be merry. We have pie and coffee with a little Bailey's in it for desert. Then when all is cleaned up, we sit down in front of Christmas Vacation for some laughs and to kick off the Christmas season. I love the holiday there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well our Thanksgiving is at our house. My mil retired from the meal a few years back. So I have the kids (all teens) help make the dinner list. I have two vegetarians so they have to help with meal planning. I always ask them what they look forward to eating.
    The day before we make all the pies. My one daughter makes her homemade applesauce. I make a cocktail for the adults, such as martinis. We have wine and the teens can have a glass if they wish too. We have a special after dinner drink either a cordial or something to put into the coffee.
    My kids are apart of the production of the meal. However usually some event takes place on the day of Thanksgiving. Last year my daughter was hunting with her horse so everyone except me went to see it. I sat around in my pj drinking tea and relaxing. It was fantastic. Then this year and a few years back they did the annual 'Turkey Trot" and dog run. So fun for them.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The kids watch the parade, Hubby goes to site rifle in for the season, takes our son and leaves all the females to do their thing. I get most stuff prepared and have moments to check on the parade and what not, then the ILaws show up along with cousins, aunts and uncles. By then the guys are home from man stuff and hubby plays bartender, sets up the four tables, we eat like starving canibals, clean up, more relatives show up for desert, all of us that do black friday sit at big table and plot our mission have a few drinks clean up again, sleep for few hours after watching whatever Xmas movie is still on and do the crazy shopping thing.
    MarthaCrocker

Answer by MarthaCrocker at 10:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2009