breast milk: how do i break my 8 month old from my breast to give him regular fomula?

I can't really afford to not get any sleep and he eats more than what I can produce. He is very aggressive when he can't get my breast right away! I am stressed trying to go to school and he is starting to be a little difficult to handle! I tried breast milk in the bottle but he wastes it all the time and the and one time I got to the point where I pumped so much that I couldn't even feed him! He wasted my breast milk and I couldn't breast feed because I pumped it all! I need an alternate... I can't even go to the hospital and leave him with a family member cause he wants my breast. My fathers been real sick and my child can't go to out hospital due to the H1N1 virus! Please help I don't know what to do? I tried the doctors way and it really didn't work! I really need advice from a mother who knows!

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 7:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The best way to wean other then letting him decide, is to do it gradually. Replace one feeding per week with formula until you are done. But switching to formula most likely isn't going to get you more sleep or change things. Also, your breasts are never empty, so if you pump, and he wants to nurse, just let him. Your body should get the signal from him suckling to up production. Why do you feel he is not getting enough from you? Also, if he won't take breast milk from a bottle, he's probably not going to take formula either. I think that the switch is going to be harder on both of you then you realize. But if you are set on it, definitely do it slowly. It will be easier on him, and easier on your breasts.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• At 8 months I wouldn't bother trying to switch to a bottle, I would go straight to a sippy cup. It's most likely going to be a very tough transition if you've been bfeeding up until now and want to stop. He isn't used to a bottle, or sippy, and he's going to want what he's used to. With my oldest I didn't introduce a bottle until around this time and he got to where he just wouldn't eat when I wasn't around to bfeed him, he would just wait until I got home.
    I would continue to bfeed, and start with small amounts of water (or you could put a tiny bit of juice mixed with water to sweeten it a bit) in a sippy to give him in between feedings. Once he is proficient with the sippy, you can switch out one feeding every few days to formula in a cup.

Answer by missanc at 8:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Pick a time every other day that you will be away from him for someone else to give him a bottle and solid foods. Either he will take it or he will wait for you to come back. But someone else will have better luck than you will. This somene else had better be prepared to be screamed at. You also need to be prepared to say goodbye to your father and not see him at the hospital and not stress over it. Baby comes first, school probably comes second and your father knows this even if he doesn't like it. Call him on the phone if you can. You can't be everything to everybody. Don't make yourself sick trying.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• couple of ideas, but they may not work. every kid is different. use a sippy cup, not a bottle. have someone else feed him, not you. Dip the nipple into the milk so it's tastes and smells like breastmilk. make sure the temp is right. some kids are very picky about that. Try mixing formula and breastmilk. Try going cold turkey -- just know you'll have to deal with a very, very cranky boy! Eventually he will give in. But again, that can be torture on both you and baby if he's not ready for the switch. Are you doing foods? Offer the sippy cup of formula with the meal. He may be more willing to take it then since there are many new tastes anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Co-sleeping kept me from losing my mind! It was so easy to fall back asleep while my baby nursed.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Here's the sad news. Weaning DOES NOT mean you'll sleep better. In fact, you'll sleep WORSE because you have to make the formula. Dad'll do it? Heh heh heh...

Either message me or drop by the breastfeeding moms group, because I want to do some Q&A with you and this forum is cruddy for it. I'm particularly interested in how you mean milk is being wasted.

It MAY BE that weaning *is* your best option...but that's really rare and I'd hate to see you lose your best comforting tool only to find that you sleep even less than you do now.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• "Try going cold turkey -- just know you'll have to deal with a very, very cranky boy!"

And possibly a very sick mom. Cold turkey is not a good way to go...can lead to mastitis.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009