Pro-life moms, how do you feel about frozen embryos?

I am watching the today show with the story about the couple that recieved the wrong fertilized eggs. In the story, it stated that one of the couples had 6 frozen fertilized eggs "left over" from thier IVF treatments.

For those of us that believe that life begins when sperm meets egg, how do you feel about all of these left over embryos from IVF treatments that are frozen?

This is the main reason why I don't agree with IVF. I know too well about infertility struggles (my kids are almost 10 yrs apart), so I can SO relate to the drive that takes a woman over when she wants to get pregnant. But I think that God should decide when life is given and taken. It seems a little morbid, human babies on ice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you are prolife, what do you think about frozen embryos?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think frozen embryos are just as unethical as abortions. It would be different if they just harvested and fertilized the number of eggs that they plan to implant, but they don't. They fertilize hundreds, sometimes thousands of eggs for one woman. Then later the unused embryos, which contain human life, are discarded.

I too know about the pains of infertility; it took us 6 years to get pregnant with our first. But, I would have chosen adoption instead of IVF.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• "I've known a few couples who would not have children if it weren't for IVF"

And I've known children that would be living breathing human beings if it weren't for abortion. Your point doesn't make frozen embryos right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The embryos are just that, embryos...not babies. They are a cell or cells that now contains the DNA of both Mom and Dad, but that's it. They have the potential to become a baby, but they are not yet a baby. Considering these "babies" would mean we'd have to do a murder investigation every time someone has a miscarriage........ridiculous. What's next, we are murderers when we have our period because each egg is a potential baby???
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nice mouth AngeLnChanZ . . .
    Anonymous

• This is the problem with not settling moral issues before you go ahead with technology. I believe that the frozen embryos are human life. I would ask those who consider them just cells, when do they become human? At 40 weeks? When they can live outside the womb? Without medical technology many full term babies can't live outside the womb.

Metalcowgirl- abortion is medically killing a baby that if left to grow would have survived. Comparing that to a miscarrage or having your period is like comparing a ax murderer to someone who has a heart attack. Bad logic.

As to what to do. I just don't know. Many infertile couples can adopt these embryos and find surrogates, but that only helps in a few cases. I just don't know.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Life does NOT begin "when sperm meets egg". POTENTIAL life begins then. Many, many times "sperm meets egg" inside the woman's body, and passes naturally on out without anyone ever knowing there was a POTENTIAL life there. Life begins when the fertilized egg implants within the mother's womb and begins to divide into cells that will become a zygote, an embryo, then a fetus and finally a living, breathing baby--a joy to his or her parents and the Creator of all life.
    How or where the egg and sperm "met" or how it got into the mother's womb to become implanted is inconsequential.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Apparently this was ignored:

Anonymous

• I've never had one how do they taste? I AM KIDDING.....
    Anonymous

• I believe it is a sin to mess with God's creation like that.  In Vitro Fertilization and babies frozen in time, waiting to be destroyed or placed in a womb. That is so wrong. It is wrong from the get go. I don't understand how a mother can even think of such a thing. And fertility pills where women have a crazy amount of babies at one time. What are they thinking?! 

Anonymous