Why is my dog doing this? (Any professinals out there?)

Well my dog is 12 year old pug. He is very well trained, very smart but lately he has been pooping in the house. The only time we know he might do that normally is if its raining out...he has a doggy door but if its raining he hates to go out and get wet so he would occassionally go inside. Over the past year he has started pooping in the house and peeing. Last Dec we got a new wood floor to replace the carpet because we were expecting a baby, who is 8 months old today, so thats 2 big changes that have happened in the last year. However his life hasn't really changed at all because of her, he was pretty mellow and didn't play a whole lot anyway so he doesn't get any less attention than he used to. At the vet she said he has some hip dysplasia so he is on deramax for the pain but I'm pretty sure its not a factor either. Is he just stubborn???? I can't have him pooping everywhere now with her crawling around on the floor.HELP!

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 8:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Hes getting older and may be forgetting to go outside or not being able to make it when he does have to go. Think about when humans get older they start forgetting and start messing themselves. As for his life not changing since the baby, his life has changed drastically there is a new human being in your life that is huge for a dog that you've had for such a long time.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 8:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• He goes outside to pee but not poop though. So he does know he is supposed to go outside.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:35 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would get him diapers. We had to do this, takes a bit of getting used to at first but is well worth the effort in the end. Good Luck

And thank you for caring enough about your pet to ask the question! He is very lucky to have you!

- Jennifer
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I think he is just getting old - poor thing. My cat started having accidents when he got old too. I think diapers are a good idea. My parents used cheap baby diapers for their dog. I guess they cut out a tail hole, or folded it back.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Marley will never let me put a diaper on him, he is way too smart and will get it off. He is the escape artist of the family and can get out of ANY harness too.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My dog was the same way...the one I got her was on a harness that she could not remove. You would replace the liners. It was this black waterproof thing....she looked like a dominatrix though lol!!!!
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Is he crate trained? may want to work on that and only take him out to poop?
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Dysplasia is the term used to describe loosening of the muscles that hold the hips in place, etc. Those same muscles also work to control the bowel and bladder in your dog. Given his age, even with the changes in your household, it's likely that the problem comes from the dysplasia rather than the other issues.

What you can try is encouraging him to go out more, much like you would a puppy. Take him out after meals, before bedtime, in the morning ~ more if it seems to be necessary. Also, the next time you are at the vet, ask about it. Sometimes a change in diet/feeding times can help a little. Good luck! Give him some scritches for me!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2009

• Ask your vet about Cognitive dysfuntion syndrome. I like to call it Doggie Altzhemers because that is basically what it is older dogs start going in the house, seem lost , there are a bunch of symptoms but there is medication that works to bring them back. He is an older dog and it could just be that he can't hold it as well as he used to but i may be time for a check up.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2009