cereal for my one month old

My son who just turned a month is on cereal. (not by my choice might i add) i've heard its bad to put babies on cereal early. until etleast 4-6 months. but my son has acid reflux and the doctors insist on putting cereal in his formula to help keep it down. is this going to cause problems for my son later down the road? and is there such a thing called basil rice cereal? thats what the doctor recommended because i told them he was getting a belly ach after the regalur rice cereal but i can't find it anywhere!

suckedintolife

Asked by suckedintolife at 8:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there are other things you can do to help with reflux. my middle had it we just wedged her crib mattress at an angle so she wasn't flat. and she slept on her tummy - she screamed for 6 weeks then I rolled her over and she slept.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I am in your shoes. My daughter has acid reflux too, and it is really bad. My doctor suggested cereal in the bottle too. I was pretty reluctant but broke down and tried it. It didn't work, she had a hard time drinking it and kept spitting it out. Elevating the crib mattress is good for night, but if your son is anything like my daughter, she is unhappy all the time. Give the cereal a try, I don't think it will cause problems later, some people say it increases the chance of allergies. My mom and all my aunts and MIL all had their kids on cereal at a month and none of us have any allergies. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• mine is on a wedge and zantac as well. they have him on a tucker sling
    suckedintolife

Answer by suckedintolife at 9:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Your baby will be fine my 5 wk old is on cereal now an it was my choice (bash away ladies i dont care, he is my child) anyways my other 2 were on cereal at 3 wk an they were on it due to reflux! an i have neva heard of basil cereal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You can also try some mylanta about 1cc before each feeding to help calm the acid in his tummy and see if it helps. Mylanta won't hurt them. You can give it all day long to help with upset tummy. My LO was on it when she was 5 days old. By 6 weeks we moved to zantac and by by 12 weeks we were on prevacid. I would give these suggestions a shot. I know what it feels like to be at a total loss when it comes to comforting your child. BTW my 16 mo still spits up but it is more of a regurgitation at this point where we lose everything we ate. I feel that it is due to reflux, but the meds have never really helped us.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Don't give any medication to a young infant unless directed by your pediatrician!!!!!!

The cereal MIGHT have an effect on him later...but more than likely, the small amount you're giving with each feeding isn't going to harm him. Which is more important...that he can keep his food down and grow, or keep spitting it up due to acid reflux and then develop failure to thrive and be in real trouble because you didn't do what was necessary to help him? (as recommended by the doctor) You might be able to put him on medication...and it might work. But I personally think if the cereal is working under the direction of a doctor, why risk the greater side effects of medications?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• "mine is on a wedge and zantac as well. they have him on a tucker sling "

what is a tucker sling? did he any problems with the zantac? I just started giving her zantac but it seems to make her worse ( which I didn't think was possible) so I stopped giving it to her until I talk to the doctor.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• nah it doesn't seem to bother him they had him on .5 ml then moved it p to 1ml. he doesn't like it thats a fact. the tcker sling is something they gave me at the hospital. its a really big cheese wedge looking thing and it has straps that hold him in. http://tuckersling.com/ thats what they look like
    suckedintolife

Answer by suckedintolife at 2:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009