do warrants show up on the computer when you go to renew your license?

my husband has a bench warrant do to some unpaid fines from this past summer. dont get me wrong.... he has been sending in what money he can. but he has not been able to pay off the entire fine due to being laid off for several months.... he needs to get his license renewed... but is afraid that his bench warrant will show up and he will be arrested. we live in a VERY small town and he just doesnt want to keep driving on a expired license anymore.... please no bashing.... we are trying to do what is right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hey Anon...how IGNORANT can YOU be? MY dh had a warrant and was extradited because someone found his lost wallet TEN YRS BEFORE and had opened a bank acct and bounced a bunch of checks. He did NOT do ANYTHING wrong. But that didnt stop them from throwing his butt in jail for 24 hrs before I could get to the county he lived in as a child (3 hrs away) to bail him out! You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. You have NO IDEA what she is going through!! Get over your judgemental self.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Depends on the state you are in. In Oklahoma you have to go to the police station to get cleared from them before you can get a Drivers license here.

Answer by louise2 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• in NJ dmv checks ssn's with either the social security adminstration directly or with their counterpart.
    I'd be really surprised if a warrant check on us all weren't done where ever we all live.

Maybe try legal aid, maybe a lawyer can guide you. It might be best to pay a little bit on a telephone bill for example (verizon wireless and verizon residential are very very compassionate with payment plans we found out) And put more money into getting rid of the warrant bills. Our cable tv company, Comcast, they are not liking to have a payment plan. So some bill companies are and some not. Try it with a company or two.

It'd be even worse to be out driving and get stopped and suddenly pick up that way.

Sorry for your troubles. Hope things get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I feel for you, I am in New Jersey You can do it on line. Maybe that would be better then in person, that way if it does come up, hopefully they won't pick him up.

Good luck!! Times are tough. :(
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP here: thanks girls.... we live in kentucky if that helps at all. we moved here from another state... in the past i have been in two accidents and had a few tickets... but ky says i have a CLEAN, PERFECT driving record.... thinking maybe they arent very strict? lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would renew online.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes, they do. My dh went to renew his license and there was an extradition warrant out for him and he was arrested on the spot. The crazy thing. We had no idea it was there. When he went before the judge and told him that we didnt know he said that was common, most people dont until they are pulled over or go get their licence renewed. I think that may be a federal law tho, because I heard it was any federal building you can be arrested!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OMG...what is a bench warrant? And what the heck did he do that would cause him to be arrested? And WHY are you hooked up with a loser lie that???????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• to anon 8:30: why are you bashing? how ignorant can you be? my husband is not a loser. he has been laid off 3 times this year. he is a DAMN good worker.... but has ran into some bad luck. he is a retired marine sniper. he is volunteer fireman... VOLUNTEER.... meaning he runs into burning buildings for FREE to save peoples lives. he is the model of an ideal citizen... we have just had a lot of financial hardship this year. we have been doing the best we can to clear up his fines... but we are not perfect and in no way claim to be. how dare you judge him... and me for being with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OP here:
    thanks momof030404! well we were able to go down to the dmv and renew his license and he is on the phone now making payment arrangements for his fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009