Would you end a friendship because of their views?

Recently, like today lost a good friend of mine that i Have known since high school We live in Maine, and our vote for same sex marriages came around well her and I have different views on that and because of that she ended out friendship. I"m so very hurt but I believe you can still be friends with someone even they have a different view then you do. I'm just hurt, I don't know what to do or say?Any suggestions?

fireangel0310

Asked by fireangel0310 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• well her and I have different views on that and because of that she ended out friendship.

That's immaturity on her part. I have friends and family members with opposing views on social issues, politics, etc. We embrace our differences and know when to debate, and when to be there for each other.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Call your good friend up and say how you feel.

IF she is a good friend she will accept it, and move on.

Otherwise, she was not as good as a friend as you thought she was, or give her a day or two.

You know her better then we do!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You know, I have a difference of opinion with friends all the time. We just learn each other's view on a subject and move on. Usually not discussing the topic anymore. I respect that some of my friends and family think differently about certain issues and I think it helps both of us understand the other side a little more, even if we don't agree.

I am sorry that your friend is so short sighted that she is willing to risk a long term friendship over a simple disagreement.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Many of my friends and family have different views from me. Being a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, I can easily disagree with everyone! lol Luckily, my friends are also open-minded and willing to discuss subjects, not argue.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Give her a minute to calm Down. Politics are passionate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:49 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• So, you aren't still in high school right? You are all "grown-up" so act like it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I lost 5 Liberal friends over this last election. I told them I didn't want to discuss politics with them because I knew they were so upset I was voting for Ron Paul. They said they could not be friends with someone who was so ignorant. So I don't get to play cards with the women I had been playing with every Tuesday for the last 20 years. I have not changed always been an Independent. They have changed they were all liberal but over the past few years have increasingly became more intolerant of those with differing views. I say good riddance to them if they are so narrow minded in their views they cannot be friends with someone who does not always agree with them. You will find new friends and better friends along the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

This!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Completely agree with lovin. Just for the record 2 of my very very best friends in the entire world are very very VERY liberal and we make our friendships work just fine. We even discuss politics. It is possible OP so maybe just give it some time. Good luck.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• NOPE I DONT INVOLVE POLITICS WITH FRIENDSHIPS!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2009