Do your kids do chores?

My daughter is 3, and I have a few "chores" around the house she does. She puts up her dirty clothes, helps me sort the laundry, picks up her toys, sorts the silverware after it's run through the dishwasher, and helps with the recycling. She gets an "allowance" of 3 dollars a week if she helps and is good, and she just loves putting it in her piggy bank. The money eventually goes to her college savings account.

Do your kids do any chores to earn an allowance? If so, what are they helping out with? I want some more ideas of things she can help me with.

hannah_belle

Asked by hannah_belle at 9:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You bet! My kids do chores, but they do not earn an allowance. They are learning responsibility for themselves and for the family.
    They do: laundry, dishes, clean up, trash, etc. . . They are 9 and 4.

Pretty much, they help me with things until they can do it themselves. Then, they are told to do something, and they do it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes, Dishes, pick up after them selves, take out garbage, make there beds. They get allowance Half goes in there account, half they play with.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• They set the table and clear it. They clean their rooms, brush the dog and sometimes they help with laundry
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i have a 3 year old so no,i think he will be in charge of just his room until he is about 13,i sure i think this way because thats how my mom was to me.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 10:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yep yep! My kids are all different ages. Two teens have bigger chores, and I also have a 3 and 4 yr old. They help with the laundry, unloading the dishwasher and the recycle. They love to help, makes them feel like a part of the family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Oh, but yes!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My girls, who are 3, 3, and 2, make their beds, clean up their toys, clean up their room, and bring the dishes to the kitchen after dinner (their dishes). They don't get an allowance though.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My girls are two and almost four, they make their beds, pick up their toys the oldest likes to fold laundry and the youngest likes to empty the dishwasher. At the end of the month the girls get one big thing for example this summer they wanted a bigger pool so that is what we got them.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mine are 6 and 8, and they have chores, but they don't get an allowance. They earn their computer, TV, and video game time.
    Their chores are: loading their clothes in the washer (I put the soaps in); moving their clothes to the dryer; folding and putting away their clothes; clearing the table; wiping down and picking up their bathroom; cleaning their bedrooms; cleaning up the playroom; putting away their outside toys; and helping clean out the van when needed.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My kids are 7 and they do the following:

Put up the groceries
    Clean their rooms
    Clean up around the house (pick up their stuff)
    Clean their bathroom - wipe down the sinnk, rinse out the tub, and clean the mirror.

They do not get an allowance right now but I am considering starting one up. Right now they just know that they have to help upkeep the house. But since they are always asking for things I might give them an allowance of $5 a week.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 10:51 AM on Nov. 4, 2009