Antibiotics and Pregnancy

I have a sinus infection and my family doctor told me that the safest thing i could take is amoxicillin and i am taking it and i have been coughing and bringing stuff up tmi sorry my husband is just scared about it having an affect on the baby. I am 29 weeks along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It won't hurt the baby. I've been on a z-pack since i've gotten prego, will be 20 weeks friday... And I'll be starting a steroid pack tomorrow becaus I'm covered from head to toe in poison ivy. :( I don't like taking medicines while i'm pregnant, but if it's going to prevent a problem from developing for the baby, then it's worth it.
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• noit going to hurt the baby, you wouldn't be on it otherwise
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I've had sinus infections chronically most my life so pregnancy was no different. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to what you're taking (and like 100 other things) so I just have to deal with it. Having the sinus infection isn't going to hurt the baby, even if it will wear you out. A site like this will tell you what pregnancy drug class your medication is in http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=695&TradeName=Amox&TradeId=709 Amoxicillin is class B. That's fine to take. If you still don't feel ok about it, there is something called a Neti Pot that uses water to clear your sinuses. I've never tried it but my aunts have and swear by it.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I just got over being really sick, and i was on Amox for 6 days and wasnt getting any better, so i went back and they put me on Omiceph. And they know i am 9 weeks. My OB has also told me i am safe! Your fine!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009