Wiccans, can you please explain to me the process of burning sage and how it differs from what the American Indians did with burning sage? Thanks so much, send a note if you have to.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 9:41 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The process is you light a sage stick (a bundle of dried sage) & "cleanse" the area with the smoke. What you say, "who" you ask to help (gods & or spirits), when you do it, & so on depends on your personal beliefs - this is where it probably varies from Native American techniques unless NA practices are part of your belief system.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It's pretty much the same thing, actually. Cleansing, a new beginning, healing.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• im pretty sure its done for the same reasons,they just say a different blessing.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• that makes you want to tell the "pagans" that maybe christianity did "steal" some of their ideas but the pagans stole the american indians ideas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• lol anon.
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• um ...Native Americans (who still practice the beliefs) ARE Pagan. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I do what Nysa00 said when I burn sage to cleanse and I agree with what was said about NA using different dieties and blessings probably being the main differences.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Answered at 9:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    that makes you want to tell the "pagans" that maybe christianity did "steal" some of their ideas but the pagans stole the american indians ideas

um...no
    There's a difference between "stealing" and "borrowing". Most fellow Pagans *I* know are very open about BORROWING different practices, rituals, holidays, etc., from other cultures.
    However...
    "Stealing" is when you take another's practice, ritual, holiday, etc. and claim it as your own that you came up with originally and refuse to give credit to those before you.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Makes me wonder if there are antiseptic properties to sage. :)
    Anonymous