Tongue tied

Hey everyone...my son is 13 months old and when he was born he was tongue tied. His pediatrician has recently become concerned about this and thinks that it need to be corrected because he will not say hi or bye...he will however say daddy, mommy, kitty, and try to mimic other words i say like rooster. He can stick his tongue out of his mouth and has recently discovered that its funny to lick mommy in the face...lol... i'm not too concerned about his tongue tie and i'm not sure if anyone else has dealt with this and if you have any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sister is tongue-tied. It never really interfered with her speaking. Her tongue is weird when she sticks it out, the bottom is kind of attached, so it rolls out. You can't tell anything by her speech.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:33 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son was also tongue tied from birth.It was very tight,he couldn't stick his tongue past his lip.When he was 11 months we had it clipped at an ENT's office.Just a simple snip, a little cry and that was it.But had we waited much longer we would have had to put him under for a more in depth procedure.I say sooner the better if you are concerned.Even with my lo's tongue tie he was able to say hi and bye.Usually they are not able to stick they're tongue past their lip if the tongue tie is severe enough to be an issue.Hope this helps.If you have any ? PM me.
    elismommy608

Answer by elismommy608 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009