Any Pennsylvania homeschooling moms?

I'm considering homeschooling, but haven't made a final decision yet. Next year I'll have a 4th grader, 1st grader and kindergartener. I have some random questions that have come up as I try to decide...

How hard is it to home school 3 kids who are all in different grades?

What curriculum do you use? Do you know of a curriculum that teaches Bible, but does not teach a specific denomination's view points?

Also, it seems that PA. is more strict about homeschooling than some other states. If you home school in PA., do your kids have to be doing the same things as public school kids each year-- or can you move at a faster or slower pace depending on your child's abilities? My oldest has lots of trouble in math, whereas my youngest is way above average- I just want to teach them at their own individual levels, rather than frustrating them into hating to learn (my oldest) or holding them back (my youngest)!

Thanks!

SahmTam

Asked by SahmTam at 10:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We use a cyber-school (specifically The Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School -- www.pacyber.org). I had thought about homeschooling but was concerned about meeting all the state's guidelines. I have one in 6th grade and one in 2nd, plus I do a pre-school curriculum with my 3-year-old. It took a bit of adjusting to get the days running smoohtly, but it can definately be done. We also add a bit of Bible study in each week. The school provides all the materials you need, including the curriculum (I believe it's Calvert in grades K4 thru 2, or Little Lincoln if you request in K thru 2, and Lincoln in the other grades), laptops, printer, and reimbursement for your internet service. They would most likely start out in their current grade, but you can advance them or slow them down in reading and/or math if needed. However, they do still have to take the PSSAs. If you have any more questions, feel free to send me a message.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Thank you very much for your answer! I hadn't even thought about cyber schools, but my initial thought is that I like that idea much better than buying a curriculum packet and being largely on my own with how to proceed!

SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You're very welcome! There are quite a few other cyber schools in PA, too. I know people who use PAVCS (PA Virtual Charter School) because they prefer the K12 curriculum. The thought of buying everything, plus all the paperwork to keep up with, was a HUGE factor for us, too.
    And, by the way, if you want to start sooner, I don't think you necessarily have to wait until next year. I'm pretty sure (at least with PACyber) that you can enroll them whenever, and start as soon as you get your materials. I think it should only take a couple of weeks at the most.
    Good luck!
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 2:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009