My DD is 19 m and has been pulling out her hair and eating it at night. I think it's a comfort thing, but she has all her loveys, she does not complain about going to bed and seems happy playing in there before she goes to sleep. Anyone know how I can stop it? She never does this during the day so it's hard to correct a behavior that you don't see happen aside from the end result in the diaper. I am worried she might cause a blockage.

Hair eating

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Motherly instincts are amazing things. You are right. Many children, pull and "pet" their hair and put it in their mouths, as a way to comfort themselves and to calm down. It should not be a problem unless she is hurting herself.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• this can be VERY dangerous! you want to bring it up to your ped at the next apt. a disease called Trick (for short) is pulling ones hair (head, eyelashes, eyebrows, pubic etc) but it can get dangerous when the hair is eaten. it may just be a phase, and hard to monitor at night, that is why I'd ask my ped. if your child is eating enough hair to be seen in a diaper the next day, then that is a lot of hair. I would see a Doc. good luck.
    JayGirlsMom

Answer by JayGirlsMom at 4:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/874253/I_have_Trichotillomania_and_I_am_not_Ashamed

Read that
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 5:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• My daughter used to do this. It turns out it was a sensory issue. She has mild autism (PDD actually).

One thing you can try is to give her a massage before putting her into her pajamas. Put a little lotion on your hand and rub it into her arms. I like to sing "Rub rub rub the arms and rub rub rub the arms and rub rub rub the arms and this is how we rub the arms" as I do it. I start with one arm, then her hand, then the other arm, then that hand, then the legs followed by the feet. Then I do her belly/chest, back, and gently I do the face. Your really just rubbing the lotion into her skin. But it helps with sensory issues and will help her calm down for bed too. My daughter LOVES this.

I don't think it's Trich like the others here have suggested. That's more something that happens in those who are older. With babies and toddlers such things are usually a sensory issue. Still, her ped would know better.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I saw on tv a girl who had a hair ball removed from her stomach. Was not a pretty sight.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 7:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2008