It's cold out

What would you do if your rule is "wear a coat when the temperature is cold"(35 degrees) was broken over and over again? Would you just let your kid get by with it? Or would you keep inforcing the rule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• hand them their coat if they don't put it on, let them get cold they will learn
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• yeah. but that is REALLY cold! you could just throw it in their backpack and casually mention it to them as they are off to school???
    fairypics

Answer by fairypics at 10:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Depends on the age of the kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I'm the original poster. The age is 11
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It really depends on the kid. If they will learn from natual consequences then I let them be cold a few times. If not then you have to put your foot down and make sure they at least go out the door with the jacket on.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well my kids are so strong willed at my house it is all about repeating, repeating, repeating myself until the do not want to hear it anymore, until they finally just do what they know they are suppose to do. As for the coat thing enforce it and take away privialiges, tv, everytime you see him without proper clothing. I also add to the speach on how expensive the doctor is and how why should I have to take time off of work and take them in to the doctor and how I work hard to buy winter clothing and they better wear it and not lose the hat and gloves or else!!!

And for everyone who thinks I am mean and it is my job to take time off work for a sick kid and buy them clothes--even my 6 year old know sI am only hard on them because I love them, IF I DIDN'T CARE I'D LET THEM RUN AROUND IN DIRTY CLOTHES OR NAKED, AND LET THEM RUN WITH NO DISCIPLINE AND HAVE BAD GRADES AND GROW UP TO BECOME NOTHING!! AND THEY KNOW IT!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We had this argument with a teacher at a preschool where I was working. Myself and two others were moms and the one teacher was young with no kids. She was insistant that the kids, boys in particular wear coats. Boys tended to want to take theirs off. If it is sunny out and they are running around then I let them take them off, I figure they can determine if they are cold or not when they are old enough to put a coat on by themselves. I never had kids who wanted coats off when it was very very cold outside. Funny weather is relitave. I live in OH. If it is winter, 35-50 seems so cold, but if it is March then we are all WooHoo isn't it warm out, it is 40 time to get out the shorts lol after a long winter of sub-zero temps. Just depends on the time of year and how you look at it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would let them know that they have to at least take the warm clothes with them. I grew up in MN where "warm" and "cold" were all relative to what time of year it was (like the pp from Ohio), and while 35 is just above freezing and might seem cold to many, growing up in the midwest that was when the snow started melting which meant it was spring :) At 11, you aren't dressing him anymore and you can't be with him every second to make sure he's dressed warmly. If he at least has a coat with him, then he can make the call for himself. He won't let himself freeze as long as it's not a power struggle - if it IS a power struggle, then he might just to spite you.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 4, 2009