Are all the girls removing their pubic hair these days or is my daughter the only one?

I found out my DD is not just trimming around the sides, she removes the entire thing. She tells me, mom everyone is doing it and it's as normal as shaving legs and underarms. Should I be concerned because she is 15 that she might be sexually active. Or is this considered normal these days. I didn't think anyone did this until I read about it on line, but its mostly grown woman, not teens.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• it's in every womans magazine and talk show.....all the female celebs claim to do it.....it could be a peer pressure thing and only being 15, maybe she's just not used to the hair and stuff, and whether she shaves it or not, you should defiantly have a sex talk with her. I asked my 14 year old daughter about this and she said alot of her friends do it because it is in style, some of thier mothers even take them to be waxed!!!!! just don't be accusing when you talk to her.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 9:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2009

• OMG, my daughter, shaves her legs and arm pits, we will not go there.

A GIRL that was in her school last year, had a healthy baby boy-SHE IS ONLY 14/15 IN THE 9TH GRADE, AND BRAGS ABOUT IT ON FACEBOOK.

I would just talk to her, when she is in a happy mood, teenagers are crazy_ I should know I was one.
    I would ask her why?? She wants to do it, I can see when wearing a bathing suit, but in the winter, and why the whole thing? If she is not sexually active, she will hold off on the whole thing.

I didn't do any of that until I was sexually active.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would be worried. Why does she need to shave it all off if she is not showing it to a boy/male. I would put her on some form of bithcontrol. Just to be safe.. Unless you want grandchildren right now.

Answer by louise2 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

I have to agree.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 11:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would be concerned for certain. YICKS
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• "Should I be concerned because she is 15 that she might be sexually active" ...

Uh, yes! You should be very concerned!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• She may have seen the Oprah show awhile back where they were talking about that for men & women. They were really bragging it up. Or maybe as the previous posters say, she MAY be sexually active. I'd be concerned enough to have a long.... long.... talk with her for sure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Although i would be worried about my teen being sexually active, under any circustance...if she's truely not sexually active, here may be one explaination for it. It is the "thing" to do nowdays. If all her friends are doing it, and she's not, after gym class, in the showers, she may get very embarrased if she's hairy and they're not. And she may get teased about it. While the trend may have started out of reasons for sexuality (guys like it better shaved when they "go down"), it's kinda the thing to do, it's so common as to be discussed on tv and such, so even a non-sexually active girl would know of it, and feel pressure to do it. I shave down there b/c my husband likes it, but now i'm just used to it and don't like being hairy there.
    Anonymous

• When I was in HS I was not comfortable wearing tampons (till I was sexually active at least) and I found that the smell clung to the hair at that time of month because I was only using pads. Also, if you have ever had a pad fold up as your pulling up your panties, you know how much that can hurt when your taking it back off and its attached to the hairs.
    Those were my reasons, but I would talk to her about being sexually active and get her on BC if she tells you she is. That really is the reason most girls do it.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well, I don't mean to worry you but yes, I would be worried. I will tell you the truth.... this "fad" has been going on for a while BUT usually is most popular in sexually active girls. I was 14 when I started having sex (boy, would I take that back), I also started shaving there soonafter because the guy liked it more. It is not something that all girls do nor should they even be talking about it IF they weren't having sex or thinking about it. I'd be very suspicious!
    Anonymous