Are any of you out there scared of catching swine flu or had it? Just wondering what you all are doing for prevention and if you had it, what did you do to recover. I also have mild asthma so feel like I have two strikes against me.

agabriel1974

Asked by agabriel1974 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got the H1N1 vaccination becuase it was kinda pushed on me (I am adopting my baby out and the adoptive parents wanted me to get it so to protect THEIR child, I did) However I personally am not afraid of it AT ALL and I feel it is totally overrated! Thats JMO though! Both my kids have had it and one of them is a severe asthmatic. They were both totally fine after a few days of a high fever and a minimal cough
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:04 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• i currently have the H1N1 flu, its not fun just like the regular flu only with vomiting(for me, can also have diarreha). Im taking dr prescriped tamiflu and a steriod pack along with otc tylenol every 4 hours. Bed rest for 5 days, and pretty much just being sick you dont wanna get out of bed anyway. Im 35w and 5d. so im under dr advice that if its gets hard to breathe or i get chest pain to go to the er. other then as long as i take my meds my little girl and i will be just fine! I was going to get the shot to protect the both of us and my DH was going to too, but our hospital havent recived them yet! But my advice is if you can get the vaccince, and wash your hands frequently especially after being in public or meeting someone. Have your family do the same. and if you or a family member does get sick, go to the dr asap and stay home for till the meds are done. Best of luck!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I am not scared of it at all, and actually I am more worried about possible effects on my unborn child if I do get the shot. I am very clean, and I wash my hands well. If I I get H1N1 I get it, it is not a big deal to me. The biggest concern are the breathing issues from what I understand, so perhaps it may be to your benefit to get the shot. I do not have any health issues that would make me want to get the shot.
    melodywelden

Answer by melodywelden at 12:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Melodywelden...

Actually the virus wouldnt pass thru the placenta so the danger would NOT be to your child, it would be to you! Besides the fever possibly having an affect on your child, nothing else passes thru the placenta becuase its in your respiratory tract... not your blood
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:42 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• jaydin, why do they say then that if you get the h1n1 shot in the 3rd trimester, your baby is immunized as well? just curious.

i'm scared of getting the flu/h1n1. :( i was trying to eat healthy as possible to boost my immunity but now i feel so nauseous that i can't do that. blech.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 5, 2009