Have what we're having?

So I've been told to start giving my 8 month old whatever we're having for dinner.
But does this really mean whatever we're having??
I mean what if we're having chili? I don't make it that spicy but there is some chili powder in it. Will it upset her stomach? She hasn't had any sensitivites to any other foods..
When did you really start just sharing meals with your babies?

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 11:01 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you need to just trust your own instinct. I wouldn't give my 8 month old chili either, but if we were having some bread or crackers with it or some cheese to top it with, I would give my child some tiny pieces of each and maybe a few beans or small pieces of meat from the chili.

I always started giving my kids table foods when they began to show interest. When we were having a meal and I was simultaneously feeding my child baby food from a jar and she was ignoring it and reaching toward my pizza, I knew she was ready to start trying a few tiny bites.

Just trust your instincts.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 11:10 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• when introducing solids, best thing is to make sure the baby has tried each ingredient by itself. this way you can single out food allergies! and make sure you record everything! once she has tried all the ingredients by themselves and there has been no bad reaction, then she can enjoy the chili with everyone else. and at this age dont go crazy with spices. you could make a separate plate just for her with no spices, because some spices can irritate a baby's belly! if she hasnt tried any of the ingredients separately but you really want to make chili, you could just make her a bean dish, rice dish, etc. the waiting period between new foods is 3-4 days
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Our 9 month old is slowly starting on tablefoods. She will eat a little bit of our food, if we are having pasta for example or rice. if I don't think she had enough, I will make her something else, of her own food, after we ate. But like Owl Feather says, make sure you check the ingredients, because just a simple thing like pasta sauce can have a lot of different things in it. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If we're having something spicy (tacos, chili, etc), I usually just separate a little before I add any spices. I still don't give my 11 month old pizza, so if it's a pizza night then I'll usually feed him before the pizza comes but that's the only meal he doesn't eat with us. We started at 8 months with him having what we were having.

Answer by missanc at 11:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I always keep a few boxes of the gerber meals. That way if dd couldn't have what we were having or I knew she wouldn't like it, I could make that real quick for her. I wouldn't give anything with a lot of flavor jsut yet or anything tough even if baby has teeth. And definately not anything that might be a choaking hazard. Jsut feel it out.
    Anonymous

• I have given my daughter what we are eating from about 7months, as long as she can eat it. Now i wouldnt give her steak! So on nights like those i have the gerber meals on back-up! Chili would fall into that catagory! LOL I just cut it small enough for her, she is now 18 months and eats just about anything! Still dont give her steak though because of how chewy it can be! Just use your best judgment! You know what is best for your lil one!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We started introducing table foods at 6 months and before they were 9 months they ate everything we ate. Is it right for all babies? No...but it worked for ours. If your doctor seems to think she can do it, go for it. If you ate it before while pregnant, she's already been exposed to it anyway.

As for chili, don't give it to her super spicy or anything, but there's no reason to cook different for her than what she's going to be eating in a few months all the time anyway. (barring sensitivities, obviously)
    Anonymous

• Your baby can start eating anything easily gummed. Any mashable foods like mashed potatoes, soft veggies, fruits, mac and cheese, etc. Just keep an eye out for any adverse reactions to said foods. As far as chili goes. You can test it out, but I would skip that for now until she's over a year. Anything spicy shouldn't be given to her until she's older.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2009