Is it okay to start...

Is it ok to go ahead and start mixing a little bit of real milk to my son's bottle (2 oz milk and 4 oz formula) to make the transition a little bit easier later? he is 10 months old. What are signs that he isn't ready?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of books advice against mixing cereal into bottles. If he is 10 months, he should be starting to eat table food and regular cereal. Save the bottles (with only formula) for before naps and bedtime.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ohhhh, sorry. I just realised you were asking about milk, not cereal. I must be a little tired today.
    Our doctor said if you are running out of formula, around 11 months, to go ahead and start with the regular milk. With my oldest I transitioned it slowly around 11 months, like you wrote, until you are completely on milk. Good Luck, and sorry....
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I personally believ ein beginbing as you mean to go on. At one year, straight up, no mixin. If he doesn't take it that's fine...the nutrients he needs are in the foods you feed and water is much better for hydration.

The only one that NEEDS him to take cow's milk is the dairy industry.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:19 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• thanks for comment but I wasn't asking about cereal in bottle :) but regular milk
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't start until one year. Then mix it in a little at a time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:22 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• we just went straight to milk at about a year, but DS is remarkably non-picky about things like that. It sounds like he is about the right age, how well is he taking other foods?
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• He can be picky at times with certain foods but overall he loves food
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Wait until he's eating a balanced (or fairly balanced) diet of table foods and then just switch him. Making the switch depends on a few things....nutrition from food since he'll be losing formula, any other food sensitivities (especially dairy)? and if there's a family history of any food allergies. Oh, and what does the pediatrician say?
    Anonymous

• I'd wait til after 11 months, if not a little longer, and if he's only taking a 6 oz bottle, I'd use less than 1 oz of milk per bottle. My kids all took 8 oz bottles and I switched 1 oz at a time.
    Anonymous

• I waited until my son was 11months old. I started out with 2 oz milk and 6oz formula. (He's a mighty eater) Then after a week or two I added more milk and less formula. By the time he was a year old he was completely on milk alone. Only use Whole milk as it is best for baby. Take it slowly to make sure baby doesn't have any adverse reactions to the milk.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009