Can I diet and lose weight while still breastfeeding?

We are planning a trip for the beginning of the year and I would like to lose my baby weight before we go. Can I still lose weight an still give my baby everything she needs to grow?

camyskins

Asked by camyskins at 11:15 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You still need extra calories while you breastfeed. I actually lost a LOT of weight just by breastfeeding alone. I ended up 10 lbs. under my prepregnancy weight.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 11:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nine months on,. nine months off MINIMUM, no matter how you feed. Your profile doesn't include your newest baby but if baby is going to be nine months or less at trip time, you'll be carrying baby weight. Sorry.

Weight Watchers has THE BEST plan for nursing moms.

NO DIET PILLS OR CRASH DIETS, please. They don't work. Don't do 'em EVER. Breastfeeding or not. Save your money.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:23 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If u know what to eat while ur bf, you'll lose the weight fast. I used to weight train n had an idea of how to make healthy choices so I ended up losing all the weight in about 7-8 mos. Do WWatchers! That's a good start. Also carry ur baby in a wrap/carrier and go for walks.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well, a neo-natal nurse told me that you do not need to eat those extra calories. Just eat when you're hungry. I lost a lot of weight while bf'ing and my daughter always got enough food. Granted, I didn't lose all the baby weight until about 4 mos pp. Just because your bf'ing doesn't mean you have to keep eating like you're pregnant. A lot of the fat for bf'ing is there from when you were pregnant.
    Anonymous