Do you believe, "just in case"? (any beliefs)

I'm curious about this idea that some people believe in their God b/c, "it's better to be safe than sorry" or "what do you have to lose" attitude. How is it that your God would not know this is in your heart, and perhaps some of your supposed faith is based on saving your own ass and nothing else? Isn't this hypocrisy to the core?! Isn't this abhorrent to your God?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• look up at the sky tonight?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nope, I don't believe at all. However I understand what you are saying and agree with you. It's rather hypocritical to say you believe so you won't go to "name the fearful location" when you really aren't sure or don't believe at all, you're just scared you might be wrong.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My SO does, but he's non-practicing. Religion's not important to either of us, so he's more of the opinion of keeping his religious mother happy by staying a believer.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:42 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I would say yes to it being hypocrisy and yes to God knowing the heart so he'd know full well why someone believes.

I was watching V last night and after the aliens showed up the local church was full and it amazed the preachers. One was totally excited that the aliens had gotten people to come to church while the other was cautious about it.

I turned to my hubby and said "they didnt start coming back to church because of a new found belief but out of fear." and thats how I see this "just in case" scenario people talk about.

I believe because I believe...not because I fear or worry. If I stopped believing then I stop believing Im not gonna fool myself(thats why I left christianity to begin) nor try and fool anyone else.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• it's called fire insurance. and yes, it may be considered hypocrisy.but one should believe because it is of their own free will. if someone is believing because they want fire insurance i wouldn't say they ever truly ever believed willfully.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I believe what I believe and it's not 'just in case'

I have said (typed) that I would rather live my life as if there were a God and be wrong, then to live my life as if there wasn't a God and be wrong.

The reason I said it was because people ask questions meant to ridicule and put down people for their beliefs, and regardless of what you say they won't let up. The purpose of my statement was to throw the ball back in your own court. Have you ever thought that your could be wrong? Are you going to be happy in the end when you find out that God is real?

Let me break in down a little further for you. When I live my life in accordance to God's will, I don't steal, I don't lie, I don't murder, I don't commit adultry, I go through life trying to help other people and trying my best not to hurt anyone. ect.
    Even if I were wrong, which I'm not, I would have been a good person and have lived a good life by anyone's standards
    Anonymous

• cont. ran out of room.

Can you say the same?
    Anonymous

• I'm gonna comment in reverse order. As far as God knowing your heart and finding it abhorant. I know God knows the heart but He is also a merciful God. He knows that many who start out believing "just in case" find their faith growing into true deep faith that is the center of their life. And that those who don't grow to that point tend to fall away, and drop "just in case" faith. It's really hard to maintain "just in case" faith when hard times hit.

As for me my faith is the core of my very being. God is not just my savior for eternity but my Abba father here and now, my comforter, my friend that sticks closer than a brother. He is the air I breathe, the strength and joy of my life. So no even if there were no promise of heaven or fear of hell I would still believe.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I don't steal, I don't lie, I don't murder, I don't commit adultry, I go through life trying to help other people and trying my best not to hurt anyone. ect.

I do all those things too but without God to guide me. So IMHO if you can't be a good person without God you're probably not a good person to begin with. It's not a matter of being right or wrong on the subject of God it's about personal character and whether you're a good person to begin with.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Anon~If you took my question as a personal attack against you, you are mistaken. It was a general question for everyone.
    To answer your question, yes I can say the same. I don't have a God in my life, and I live my life as peacefully as posible. I respect all things, especially the earth and all that live upon her. I treat others with the utmost of kindest, and I don't steal, murder, lie, etc....something you impled others who don't have a God WOULD do.
    So, yes I can say the same as you. Only difference is, I don't believe in your God.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2009