I can't believe I am asking this. do Catholics practice adoration to Mary?

I know about adoration to Jesus, never heard about Mary until it was hinted at in another post.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No we do not worship her. We honor her as you would honor your own mother. As you ask your own mother to pray for you. We worship God. Again we seem to need a vocabulary lesson . Pray, to ask or plead. Not worship, Worship is another word altogether.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• No, we do not adore Mary, but rather venerate her, which means we honor her, and we believe that we can ask her to pray for us, just as we ask our friends to pray for us.

Luke 1:48: "for he has regarded the low estate of his handmaiden. For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed;"
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 12:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• IS tht one of the verses why catholics worship Mary?
    Anonymous

• yes it is and it wasn't even telling us to pray to her we are only to pray to GOD this is one of the many things that the catholic church teaches that is against the Bible
    Anonymous

• The anon who posted the question is not the anon bashing the Catholic Church
    Anonymous

• No, we don't. OP- there are many, many fundamental Christians that spread lies and misunderstandings, and in some cases, hate about the Catholic Church. Simply put, we love Mary because she was the mother of Jesus- we love Him so naturally we love the one who birthed Him.  She had the cahones to say "yes" when most would have said no. She is not divine. We do not worship her any more than we worship our own mothers. We do recognize that she was specially hand picked by God to be the mother of the Christ. What does she always say? "Listen to my Son".

For more on what Catholics really believe , click here.

ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:58 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Many misunderstand what the word 'pray' means. For many pray is synonymous with worship but for Catholics pray means what it originally meant - to ask. So when we say we pray to Mary they wrongly assume we are worshipping her.

Since the sacrament of the Eucharist was rejected by non-Catholics an alternate form or worship was needed and so all prayer was elevated to worship.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• you can't ask mary anything she is not holy God is Holy. She is special but not worthy of praise and she is dead so you can't pray in a sense to ask her for anything that would be like me praying to my dead grandmother. Mary was not perfect like Jesus was she sinned like any other person so why would you think that if you prayed to her, that she would even be able to hear you let alone answer your prayers that is kind of putting her on a pedestal and worshipping her. the only one that we should ever pray to is God not mary or a dead saint God is the only one that has the right to receive our prayers worship and praise. He is the only one that we should confess our sins to other than the person that we have hurt a priest is not a mediator between us and God last time I checked priests sin too Jesus is the only mediator between us and God that's why I pray in Jesus' name
    Anonymous

• So what does "adoration to Jesus" mean? Adoration seems interchangeable with venerate & revere (but not with worship). Does the adoration of Jesus have a special meaning within the Catholic church.

*I fully understand that Catholics do not worship Mary, I am just wondering about the wording "adoration."

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I guess Catholics "adore" Mary in the same way I "adore" my own mother. I adore my children. I don't worship either my mother or my children. In the Catholic Church there's a ritual called "Adoration" where we spend time in church in the presence of the Eucharist (which we believe is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ". So it is time spent praying to and worshiping Christ - but that's different than the "adoration" of Mary. The adoration of Mary is recognizing that she is an example of following God's will - someone we should emulate. Mary is a human being, Jesus Christ is God. Mary can never be equal to Jesus.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2009