Honest question ...

Ok so ever since i joined here i see everyone has a problem w/ the word "retard" ok ... well i looked in the phonebook for a number for a friend , and seen theres a listing that goes "fayette association for retarded citizens" ... and one the news they were talking about a man on trial and said something about "...because he is mentally retarded" ...

how come its acceptable to say it then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it is acceptable in the way you used it. I feel it is much more polite and considerate to say "mentally challenged, or mentally disabled."
    purpleswiper

Answer by purpleswiper at 12:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I didnt use it in any way ... i asked the question ... and typed exactly what i see. in the phone book and on the news they used it to describe the people ... when someone uses it as a term to insult someone not just them , but anyone they said it meaning theyre stupid or slow ...
    Anonymous

• I don't like it......on Halloween my son hurt his ankle so he was being pushed in a stroller by my friends' 16 yr old daughter and she was joking around calling him "handicap boy" and as she said this a woman with a an older child that had trouble walking, she was truely handicapped, heard the girl pushing my son say this.
    up until then I hadn't given it thought, after that I felt so bad and guilty and had her not use that term anymore.
    on the other hand my oldest is autistic and my 2 middle kids will come home and say that a certain boy is "such a retard" and my oldest doesn't care and wants to know the rest of the story.
    Anonymous

• purpleswiper, that was her point. She doesn't understand why it would be acceptable to use it in those circumstances and not in others.

I don't get it either. I understand that it was how they used to refer to people who had some type of mental issue...from what my grandmother has told me, it used to be just like a blanket term for anyone who had any sort of mental issue, whether it was being "a little slow" or suffering from bi polar or depression.

I think it sounds rude and harsh and I actually find it very surprising that it was used in the two contexts you describe. I know around here we used to have a group called ARC, which stood for "American Retarded Citizens" or something like that, and then they changed the R to mean something else b/c a bunch of people complained. I don't remember what they changed it to.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Tropical: Thats what ours is too ARC ... but its FARC (fayette for our county) ... they never changed it , bc i got it out the new phone book we just got.

I think if you cant say it this way -- you cant say it that way ..
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's matters. It's jsut a word and only has the power to hurt if you allow it to. retard is a word. it's in the dictionary. Use it based on the definitation.
    Anonymous

• Around here it means a whole bunch of different things. They say "oh that party was retarded" (meaning stupid--meaning fun/crazy!) ... Or they call people that that are acting dumb.
    Anonymous

---

AGREE!
    Anonymous

• verb (used with object) 1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.

–verb (used without object) 2. to be delayed.

–noun 3. a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
    4. Slang: Disparaging. a. a mentally retarded person.
    b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

5. Automotive, Machinery. an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

THATS HOW I USE IT ....
    Anonymous

• It's an insult to the retarded citizens. They don't want to be grouped with some of the problems that exist in the world. Be nice to the retarded citizens, don't insult them by calling "normal" people retard!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009