Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parent adoption question...

OK. We are in the state of Texas. I have a daughter who is almost 4 years old. My ex (who I was not married to) has not seen her since she was 5 months old. Before she was born my ex lost his ID and was not allowed to be listed as the father on the birth certificate. But I was allowed to have her last name as his. He has no contact with us, he pays no child support, nothing from him. I am now remarried and my husband has raised her as his own, and of course wants to adopt her. I know I will have to get a lawyer to help with all this, but do you think it should be easy to get it done? Does the ex have ANY rights? I am just curious to your opionion.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • You don't *have* to have a lawyer - my BIL adopted his step-son by downloading the papers from the internet, filling them out, and bringing them before a judge. Cost them just a few hundred bucks and it's all totally legal. My brother just adopted his step-dd last fall, and they went through a lawyer because they didn't tell anyone at first, and didn't know they could do it online - they paid almost $4,000. Same state, different county. My advice - call a lawyer who will do a free consult and see what they say. If he/she says there won't be a problem, then do what you feel more comfortable with (hire lawyer or go online). If there will be any issues, it'll be easier to get a lawyer for it all.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • Sorry -I have no idea! Bump :)

    Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • Thank you so much, I will look into those options! : )

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • You could likely argue abandonment by the bio dad.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 2:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009