So my doctor says that he thinks my baby...

is growing and doing well but he doesnt think I should go too much past 41 weeks because of the size of the baby.

So basically I have until 41 weeks which kind of scares me, and in order to go over the 41 weeks and just have the baby come naturally they will administer another anatomy sonogram to make sure it is actually safe, since the baby can start to back track if too large.

He says my cervix is "great" and im 2.5 cm dilated, and although he cant say when the baby will come he does think the baby will come "soon."

I also have had my membranes stripped 2 times. 1st time I was 38 weeks and 1.5 cm 2nd time I was 39 weeks and 2.5 cm...so there was a little progress.

Im just worried, I dont want my baby to be harmed because I decided to ignore the doc if i go over and then have my baby not be healthy, and I dont want to induce because what if he's not healthy enough.

advice, anyone?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 12:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Doulala always has great info...so what she said!
    I also want to tell you my experience. I went "over" my due date, and I didnt want to be induced. I wanted everything to go natural. At 41 weeks I had a non-stress test. Everything was fine. At 42 weeks I had a biophysical profile. That's pretty much an in-depth ultrasound where they check the placenta, fluid, etc. There were 3 things they scored her on. She got a 10 out of 10 on all 3. So I went ahead with refusing induction. She was born ON HER OWN, all natural, after an easy 8hr labor. Oh and she was *huge* she weighed in at a whopping 7lb 4 oz! :-D
    And as an added bonus, I was so excited that the birthday she picked for herself was MOTHERS DAY! :-D Perfect.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Well there are other reaons besides just a larage baby to not be "too overdue", the placenta starts to deteriorate, meaning the baby doesn't get as much oxygen, blood and nutrients from you and the amnio fluid can get too low
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• One reason they often don't want you to go past a week after your due date is the baby can end up pooping inside you in which the baby will inhale it causing respiratory problems and could cause problems for you too. I wouldn't go past 41 weeks even if they have to induce or cut me open.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes, I would listen to the doctor and NOT go past 41 weeks. I know a lot of women will argue that but until it is there baby who dies, they will not get it. After 41 weeks is DOES get dangerous, the placenta starts to diminish which leads to lack of nutrition for the baby, fluid gets low, and theres bigger possibility of cord problems. I know of someone who refused to have a c-section or be induced and waited, she was 42 weeks when the baby died in her womb... If she would have listened, the baby would be alive. I've had a stillborn and I know the hurt that it causes, I trust the doctors with my births. I have two other children and have had a total of three c-sections. It wasn't what I wanted but thank God they were okay. Just please listen and do what it takes to get the baby here safely
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• You don't have to "ignore" your doctor. You can consult with him and others, too.
    A first time mom will average 41 weeks, 1 day of pregnancy.
    40 weeks is a MID-point of the average 4-week due period.
    You can talk with your doctor about how he has arrived at his conclusions and ask about the true risks and benefits.

Because there is no actual way to know how big the baby is until birth, you can't know your baby is "too" big unless you've had a deformation or disease. Has your doctor discussed the Pink Kit to see if this is a *true* problem?
    Because many women are told things that are not evidence-based, but rather fear-based, you'll want to get the facts. If you want to make an informed decision, get the facts, ask the true risks and for evidence. You are very likely to find different responses when you ask theses same questions from different providers.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Statistically and medically a 9 pound baby is in the average range.

"Babies weighing more than 9 pounds and 15 ounces (4,500 grams) are considered much larger than average. (Average newborn weight is 7 pounds and 8 ounces.) It's very difficult to determine whether a baby is truly macrosomic (literally "of large body") while she's still in the womb — only a post-birth weigh-in confirms it."

ACOG recommends intervention only if baby is over 5000 grams which is 11 pounds. Keep in mind they admit there is NO WAY to know how much a baby will weigh until after the baby is born. So if they think by ultrasound a baby will be 11 pounds... the baby could actually only be 9 pounds, well within normal. http://www.pregnancybirthandbabies.com/Big_baby.htm
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The probably more common approach is for OBs to suggest moms be induced because their babies are getting too big. Many moms at the end of their pregnancy are feeling uncomfortable and are looking for a way to get this baby out, the sooner the better. They are not told the risks of induction, not told their Bishops Score, nor told they are possibly setting themselves up for a cesarean.

Let us also remember that the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists do not recommend induction for a big baby, let alone cesarean. Big babies are also known as macrosomia. They have recently found that in addition to it being really difficult to tell the big babies from the regular sized babies via ultrasound, that when you induce a woman who is suspected to have a large baby, she is more likely to have a cesarean section. So it is better to just let nature take its course and all will be well.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/amazing_placenta.html
    The conventional thinking has been that the placenta "ages" past term, potentially compromising the baby's growth, well-being, and ability to cope with labor. However, placental anatomists have shown that the placenta continues to expand and increase in surface area beyond 40 weeks, and that the placenta has a large "functional reserve." (7)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• everything that doulala just said

personally, i wouldn't have the induction.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 3:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2009