Will CPS doing anything if I report someone at the park who didn't know where her toddler was and was not looking for him?

She was at the play part with her older daughter and the toddler was by the trees closer to the bathroom all alone. Somebody could have easily taken him. He started crying and walking back to his mom and her friend yelled oh I found him! Nobody was even looking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• omg< DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO?

UNLESS YOU KNOW SHE INTENTIONALLY DOES NOT CARE, DOES IT ALL THE TIME OR DOES WRONG YOU HAVE NO RIGHT CALLING THEM AND WASTING THERE TIME.

ONLY IF YOU KNOW FOR SURE, SHE IS AN UNFIT MOM. SOMETHING LIKE THAT IS RIDICULOUS.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Don't report it. Why waste everyone's time?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If someone yelled...oh I found him then obviously someone was looking.

It sounds like they didnt hop to in a way you would have but that doesnt make it CPS worthy.

Perhaps the mom knew where he was but chose to "ignore" him for a bit because he wasnt minding and she felt it was a nice lesson to learn that he shouldnt walk that far away like he'd done and been scolded for in the past?

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Who died and made you the "watcher"? I hope you never get distracted and your child leaves your side. If that happens, I hope someone does to you what you want to do to someone else. This "big brother" mentality is getting out of control.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yeah, they probably won't do anything.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Maybe you are being a nosy person ? Oh,and WHY does everyone at CafeMom talk about reporting Moms to CPS all the time? Yikes! Does it make you feel superior to tell on Moms? This seems to be a big waste of time,IMO. IF there is something really substantial and real that people see, well, fine. Report them. But all this "Do you think i should call CPS?" stuff is unnecessary. I don't get it. I never even heard of CPS until I started reading here last fall. Get a grip,ladies.
    Anonymous

• You do not know enough to call CPS in this instance. Kids can run off in a second. It could happen to anyone. This is why CPS isn't able to take care of the real problems, they spend too much time having to investigate this kind of stuff.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• It seems that someone WAS looking if they called out "I found him!" No, I do not think that having a toddler wander at the park is a reportable offence, even if the mom appeared to be unconcerned. CPS needs time to investigate substanciated reports of abuse, not to be called in to investigate any parent who is not within an arm's length of their child at the park at all times. If you think it's bad parenting, that's fine- you parent your child differently. But reporting this is really a waste of time!
    Anonymous