Pet odor?

We have 2 cats and 1 indoor dog. Housetraining the dog has been miserable but we finally have it down but my house smells like animals! I scoop the litterboxes daily and walk the dog 3 times a day. I hate it, cannot stand it and (though no one else has said anything about it) I can smell it all the time. Is there anything I can use on carpets and wood floors to get rid of that pet smell?

(Other info: I've tried Oust, Febreeze, and Lysol sprays. Carpet cleaning on a weekly basis hides the smell for about a day then it comes back. Carpet powders have only masked the smell for a short time as well. I'm on a tight budget so anything that is inexpesive would be best but I'm willing to spend a little more if something actually works!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Put baking soda into the cat boxes (even if your using the good litter, it helps). Buy new boxes, I have found after about 1.5-2 years the plastic itself starts to take on odor. Sprinkle a little bit of baking soda on the carpet before you vacuum. Wash the hardwood floors with white vinegar and water mixed. The only time i have found Lysol to be effective is if its a fresh spot, not a lingering odor, blot the spot up then hit it with a LOT of Lysol, then blot it up again. I also found that the enclosed boxes are a little less smelly, but I tend to forget to clean them as often because I cannot see the mess.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Thanks auroura. I will change out the boxes. I can't use the enclosed boxes though as my one cat is quite big and she will not go inside them. She go right there on the floor outside the box. So I have to use the open boxes (rats!). lol I'll try the vinegar and water this afternoon. Thanks a lot!
    Anonymous

• There are products that are enzyme based that will get rid of the residual odor in wood floors and carpets. The enzymes dissolve the residual urine and the smell. YOu can find them in WalMart and pet stores.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 2:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I have three dogs and two cats indoors. They are all good about going to the bathroom outside or in boxes, but ocassionally someone will have an accident. I have used all of the things sold in stores to get rid of smells and nothing works like vinegar. I have found that 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar works wonders. There is a vinegar smell for about a day and after that there is no smell at all.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Cont...I also use vinegar to clean my parrot cages and rabbit litterbox. It works great and I don't have to worry about toxic fumes and my birds.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Nature's Miracle...I think it's called...works well. We used it in the house after our dog passed. Close to the end she was having major bladder control problems, so our house needed a major clean. I may need to do my bathroom with it...my male cat has FLUTD and he gets bouts where he just can't make it.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2009