How do you get a baby to sleep through the night?

My baby is going to be 3-months. My baby wakes up at night and won't want to go to sleep for like 2-3 hours. HELP!

sunshinextn

Asked by sunshinextn at 1:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try letting ur lil cry for a sec my daughter will wake up an cry for a minute an go back to sleep just to get me to pick her up just learn weather its a hungry cry or a i just wanna wake ma up lol try it i as scared to at first but after a few times of letting her cry for a min before i went to her bed worked bc now she dnt cry unless shes hungry or needs something
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• PLEASE DO NOT let your little one cry alone under a year old! To them, it is abandoning ...not teaching them anything good...I promise you!

Young babies like yours do not have adult sleep patterns...so you can't expect them to sleep like an adult! They wake up a lot..and need to nurse or cuddle or whatever. I personally don't believe in any form of sleep "training" until they are over a year old...and then it should always be with love and comfort.
    Different chlidren have different needs! I have a friend who nursed 100% and her daughter always slept through the night ...and in the crib! That is rare...but some children want one thing and others need more.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

• DONT CIO. THATS JUST PLAIN EVIL HE IS TOO LIL. MY DS IS 8 MTS AND STILL WAKES UP EVERY 4-5 HRS TO EAT. ARE SAHM OR WORK. IF YOU STAY HOME TRY NOT LETTING THE BABY SLEEP TOLONG. LIKE CUT HIS NAPS TO ONE HOUR. ALSO AT NIGHT MAKE SURE THE ROOM IS QUIET AND DARK. MY DS GOES TO SLEEP IF I RUB HIS HEAD AND GIVE HIM HIS PACI. ISGONNA BEOVER SOON I KNOW YOU NEED SLEEP BUT WE MOTHERS DONT GET ANY. MYDD IS 31 MTS AND SHE WAKES UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NITE
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:48 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Letting a baby cry for "a sec" as the first poster suggested is NOT letting her cry it out! Geez people. Over react much?

If you go in a the first little stir, you could be waking the baby. Leaving him for a minute to see what he's going to do is NOT going to hurt him.

If he's hungry, obviously you'll feed him. Is wet or dirty, you're changing him. We all get that.

But if it's just waking to play, and you've been going in at the first sound...it could be that you're waking him the rest of the way. Just give it a second and see what happens. He might just play and go back to sleep.

Now...it should be expected that he wake at night, he's young for sleeping through. But for the 2-3 hours waking...keep everything dark and quiet if you do need to get him. Little light, don't talk to him just do what you have to do and leave his room.

Anonymous

• If he's waking up for 2-3 hours at night, he's in bed too long for the whole night. I'd push his bedtime back an hour or two and see what happens.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Thanks for being so helpful guys. She's getting better and not staying up so long when she gets up at night. Thanks.
    sunshinextn

Answer by sunshinextn at 5:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009