How can I establish myself as another authority figure with my stepson (6yrs old) without making him dislike me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Treat him EXACTLY as you would your own. Make the boundaries that are you and stick to them. Kids will always know when there is a crack and they WILL exploit it. My kids dont always like me either LOL
    turtle68

Answer by turtle68 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• answered????
    turtle68

• It is important to establish yourself not just as a disciplinarian. You need to be sure you bond with him on as a deep a level as he will let you. That way, you aren't coming across as the evil stepmom. It is important to try and get his mother on your side, too, if at all possible. There is a belief with many children that a stepparent means the disappearance of the biological parent that is being "replaced". Your husband needs to help with this process by recongizing you as an authority figure, but also proving to his son that regardless of all else, he comes first. A child will often feel that dad chose some new woman over him. My sister is my half sister and had problems battling between her biological dad and our dad. Plus she has two stepchildren of her own, and I have one. This is a topic of great discussion within our family!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There is a book I read called "Stepparenting without Guilt." It is an older title, but still holds some relevance. I found it in the parenting resources in the children's section of my local library. If you can find it, it is worth the read.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008