How do you teach a toddler to take bites?

my son is 17 months and he wants to feed himself but stuffs it all in his mouth. I cut it up in small pieces but he stuffs like five in his mouth at one time. How did you teach you toddler to take bites?

Jnc91

Asked by Jnc91 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think you can teach that. It will happen eventually. For the mean time, just give him 2-3 cut up pieces at a time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• man...I wish I could teach my toddler NOT to take bites! He like to bite EVERYTHING...mommy, daddy, friends, toys...and food :)

I imagine it will come with time...maybe let him have a bite of your sandwich? THen he can't shove!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 1:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• That's normal to do that. You have to sit there and only give one or two peices at a time. When they are capable of taking one and leaving one most times, then start giving one or two more each time, etc, until you can put a bunch in front of them and they'll eat only one peice/bite at a time. Also, repeating "one at a time" or something can help. But it takes time. My youngest 2 are 2.5 & 4 and still like to shovel huge bites in sometimes, or stuff too big of a handful of something in. It seriously takes a long time for them to "get it".
    Anonymous

• We continuously tell my 20 month old to take small bites. We usually give him larger whole crackers and things along those lines because it makes him slow down and take smaller bites.
    SAndrews

Answer by SAndrews at 1:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• We have given my DD things not cut up since she had teeth. She can't fit a whole chicken nugget in her mouth, so she actually takes bits of it. If your not comfortable offering so much or if he does try to stuff the whole thing in his mouth, only give him a few bites at a time so he cant' overload.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I did the same thing as kristal2146. It was actually at the suggestion of a friend who told me "If you dont start now that they can eat when are they going to learn?" So we tried and I hoonestly have never had a problem with it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• OMG I've been wondering this myself. My 2 year old will shove food in his mouth until his cheeks look like a chipmunk's. I can't give him whole anything because he will continues to naw and shove until it is all in his mouth. If I cut it up I have to be the food monitor or he will shove whole handful's in his mouth. I'm at a loss. . . I'm tired of telling him "small bites Chris" "one at a time Chris" "chew before you swallow Chris". . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009