(For those of you who DO NOT sleep train) What age did your child naturally sleep ttn? (5 or more hours in a row)

My son is 21 mos old and nursing...but he also nurses through the night and wakes up very frequently. On average he'll sleep for 3 hours then wake up...then back to sleep 1-2 hours...then wake up...etc...
We had a few good weeks here and there (5-7 hour stretches) but then teething kicks in or something..and back to night waking!
I plan to night-wean him this month...I just wanted to hear input!

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 1:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I breastfed until my son was 7 months old....mainly because I couldn't get him to BF directly from the breast and had to pump exclusively for 7 months straight! Needless to say, as soon as I was done BF my son slept through the night! Not that I'm saying there's a connection, but for some reason he slept 11-12 hours a night (6pm to 6am) almost every night since! I NEVER let my son cry at night either, but if he was just whining at 1 or 2 in the morning, I'd wait 5 minutes and if he was still whining I'd get him, but usually he fell back asleep on his own before 5 minutes was up. So waiting a little bit before you go in there usually trains them to sleep on there own. And since your child is 21 months old already, he should be able to do that.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I was one of the lucky ones whose child began to sleep through the night at 8 weeks.
    SAndrews

Answer by SAndrews at 1:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my first was ff. slept thru the nite at about 3 mts.
    now for ds i been eping for 8 mts now he has day wherehe sleeps for 5-7 hrs and others where he wakes up every 4
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:54 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• No sleep training. They slept through before 14 weeks of age. I was SOOOO lucky!
    Anonymous

• When he wakes up to nurse, offer him water instead. At 21 months, it is not because he is hungry, so he should get the hint eventually. Now, you don't say if he is sleeping with you or in his own crib, but I would recommend that he is in his own bed, so he can't smell you all night. That would be torture if you are going to do the water thing.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Before a year, I'm sure. I never tracked the 5 hour thing, though. They started sleeping a good nine hours by 18 months, and my second by 9 months. I will say that night weaning does not always equal an end to night waking. My older dd was night weaned at 9 months when I had mono. She still had night waking until 19 months.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Around 8 months
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son is 7 weeks old and sleeps anywhere from 5-7 hours before waking up to eat. He's been doing it consistently for about a week and a half now.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 3:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My son started sleeping for 5-7 hours at about 8 weeks maybe a little earlier. Now at 15 monthes he will sleep twelve hours sometimes he will wake up in the middle of the night with nightmares but you just give him a hug and he goes right back to be. But I was really really lucky and it'll probably never happen again with any of my other kids.
    Anonymous

• no sleep training, she just wanted to sleep through the night. She started shortly after 2 months old. We were lucky, hoping for the same with this next one!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 6:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2009