what are the Best bottles to use for newborn to help prevent nipple confusion?

I need to supplement for my son to help get rid of his jaundice. I've been postponing it forever but I just want to get the levels downs so we won't have to go in every day and get him tested as well as paying $150 a day for the bili lights.

Anyhow... What bottles are recommended for the breastfed newborn to help prevent nipple confusion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I like Aventi bottles the best.
    dorie84

Answer by dorie84 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• playtex nursers.. they are exactly like the breast. my dd is 10 weeks and switches between them just fine and she started on the bottles at 3 weeks (i pump and feed)
    Anonymous

• My son takes the Avent bottles and He loves them.
    Anonymous

• http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t029600.asp

While most newborn jaundice is harmless, common medical remedies for jaundice can interfere with getting breastfeeding off to a good start. Therefore, healthcare providers and parents should be cautious about treating a condition in which the cure can create more problems than the disease. Watch out for what we call the "yellow flags" that signal an overreaction to jaundice in the breastfeeding baby.

In most cases, it is not necessary to treat jaundice when bilirubin levels are less than 20 milligrams.
    Most jaundiced infants do not need supplements of water, sugar water or formula.
    Avoiding breastfeeding for a day or two is not usually necessary to bring down bilirubin levels.
    Shake off any suggestion that something about your milk is bad for your baby. As long as your baby is otherwise healthy, jaundice is short-lived and harmless. If your baby's jaundice is related to
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• shouldn't matter. it's not the nipple the kids perfer, but the easy of use of the bottle. They get lazy and will perfer the easy bottle to the breast they have to work at. mine went back and forth w/o any problems (she started early too, about 2 weeks). I used playtex drop in system.
    Anonymous

• If your baby's jaundice is related to other health problems, your milk is very valuable for him and you should continue to breastfeed.

Early, frequent, unrestricted breastfeeding helps to eliminate bilirubin from baby's body. Bilirubin exits the body in the infant's stools, and because breastmilk has a laxative effect, frequent breastfeeders tend to have lots of soiled diapers and thus, lower bilirubin levels.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If you DO have to supplement, mine used (and use) the Avent bottles with the wide based nipples. (I work full time).
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Hey, if you do end up needing to supplement, there are other ways than a bottle. Some moms use a droper, cup feeding, and SNS system. There are several options for you to avoid nipple confusion.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter had jaundice her first week and I just nursed nursed nursed. She was also on the bili-lights. I would nurse her every 1.5 hours during the day and every 2 hours at night. I would usually have to wake her to eat since jaundice can make them lethargic. She was on the lights for five days and we pretty much had her on them 24 hours a day. Only took her off to go the pediatrician's office.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• depends on the kid.

none of mine liked the same bottle and nipple

good luck!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2009