My son had a HUGE tantrum & made himself throw up. HELP.....

Last night my 3 year old had a huge fit & made himself throw up. I overreacted & yelled at him which just made it worse. When I calmed down & thought about it I told him if he did it again I would take his toys away. He looked at me & did it again. Out went the toy bin. He did it agian & out went action figures. He finally stopped after that, but this was after 15+ mins of gagging. He does NOT use his fingers. He coughs & then gags. I do not know what to do. I do not want to yell, I do not want to spank, I need advice.

A little back story -My Grandmother passed away a month ago, so we are all still grieving. A friend of his was out at daycare for 3 weeks sick & he was very worried about him. And he ate too much candy at Halloween & got sick. He threw up that night & has benn convinced he is sick since then. Even insisting he go to the DR. I know he is going through A LOT right now, I want to handle this right.

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 1:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is the fit in response to being in trouble for something? In that case, send him to the bathroom if he's going to throw up...If the fit is 'just because' then you need to approach it with caring rather than disipline. Have you thought about a cousilor? Someone who can draw his feelings out of him and help him to express them better? And I would see if I could contact his sick friend for peace of mind for him...he may be feeling that his friend is dying (like the grandmother, sorry) rather than just being sick. You know that he isn't dead but being out of sight to a toddler is interpreted differently espcially after a traumatic event.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My daughter did that a couple of times and in fact she still tries to do it, just tried this afternoon! I simply have to look at her now and say- don't you dare do it! Before I got her to stop though I made her clean it up and I tried not to give a reaction to it. I would simply say- since you got yourself all worked up then you can be the one to clean it up. You're probably right, he is going through a lot right now. But, this behavior is likely to continue now that he has gotten a reaction out of it. I find that with my daughter when she is getting upset and throwing her fits that this is the time when I need to just sit with her and ask if she needs some loving and give her lots of hugs and kisses for a couple of minutes. We have also gone through a lot and I've had to do that several times in the past few weeks. This usually helps calm her down and if I spot a sign of a fit approaching it will prevent her having a meltdown
    eneed1566

Answer by eneed1566 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009