Should I take him to the Nutcracker?

There is a very nice version of the Nutcracker ballet here in my city. I have been to the evening shows and it is a very classy event. They also have one at 2:00 in the afternoon, that I haven't been to. Should I take my 3-year-old son? I know he would LOVE it. If he acted up, of course we would simply leave. (I don't think that would happen or I wouldn't even consider it - but he is 3! You never know!). **PLEASE no rude comments like "Well if you want to be rude you can." Just tell me what you think. Thank you!**

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 1:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I definitely think you should take him. I danced for 12 years, and the Nutcracker is great for kids to watch. I have a younger brother and sister (they are 10 years younger). They loved to watch it when they were that age. They especially loved party scene with the little boys and girls, and the battle scene with the rats and soldiers. I personally believe that exposing your children to any art or cultural event is important to do, even at a young age. If he does act up, you could always just quietly step out, and step back in. People should be understanding. Also, I know that where I use to dance the matinee shows were more for younger children, and less for the adult crowd. Also, you could look into whether or not there is a school show going on during the week. (a show that is for elementary school trips). Many times if there are seats left they will sell them to people, but it isn't advertised. Have fun:)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 1:50 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If you think he'll sit through most of the performance with o problems at won't get scared when the Christmas tree gets huge and the mouse soliders come out to battle, go for it!

BUT...you might consider trying to find it on video first and letting him watch that way. It'll give you an idea of his tolerance.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:45 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Good idea about the video gdiamante! I have to call the box office b/c I don't know how long the show lasts, that will also help me gauge his attention span.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:47 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• If you're willing to leave if he starts acting up, then I say go for it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• While it would be a wonderful experience, The Nutcracker is long. I can't see a child of that age sitting through the whole performance. If this is a shortened version I would say go for it, and if worse comes worse, you can always duck out early. If it's the full length performance, I wouldn't bother.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009