a lot of people hate what they think the Catholic church is about. whats the line?

Ignorance is not only bliss it is annoying. There is a quote from a bishop explaining most people do not know what the Catholic teachers, their hate of the Catholic Church comes from not knowing the real teachings. What is the quote?

I know eringobrough and a few others have posted it here. I am ready to make it my signature. I am shocked at what some people think the Catholic church teaches. I am equally shocked that those who believe the bible is the only learning tool ; cherry pick the bible more than Catholics.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 1:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The quote is by Bishop Fulton Sheen:

"There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is of course, quite a different thing."

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Could you please share with us what you believe the Catholic church is about?

If you're willing to hear I will tell you why I don't believe their teaching is correct.
    Anonymous

• are you willing to hear why Catholics think you have the wrong interpretation of the Church?

What do you want to know? What I think the Church is about is a long list. Tell me what you are fishing for.

The first thing I will tell you is that Catholics DO NOT think of Mary as a God/dess or worship her.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Yes I am willing to hear why Catholics think we have the wrong interpretation of the church. Are you willing to hear to hear why I believe the Catholic teaching to be wrong?

Just for clarification, I don't have any negative belief's about Catholic people, My only objection is to the church and it's leader's that are misleading people and tricking them into false worship.

My questions? What is the Catholic church about?

Are you allowed to read the bible?

Anonymous

• This is what Catholics believe:

We believe in God, the Father, the Almighty,
    maker of heaven and earth,
    and all that is seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
    the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father,
    God from God, Light from Light,
    true God from true God,
    begotten, not made, one in Being with the Father.
    Through him all things were made.
    For us men and for our salvation
    he came down from heaven:
    by the power of the Holy Spirit
    he was born of the Virgin Mary,
    and became man.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:35 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
    he suffered, died, and was buried.
    On the third day he rose again
    in fulfilment of the Scriptures;
    he ascended into heaven
    and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
    He will come again in glory
    to judge the living and the dead,
    and His kingdom will have no end.
    erdavh

• We believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the Lord, the giver of life,
    who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
    With the Father and the Son
    he is worshipped and glorified.
    He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
    We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
    We look for the resurrection of the dead,
    and the life of the world to come.
    Amen.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My questions? What is the Catholic church about?

You will need to be a little more specific

Are you allowed to read the bible?

Yes, not only did we determine with the help of the Holy Spirit which books to include in the bible, we also protected it for hundreds of years, and painstakingly copied it over and over by hand. Not only are we allowed to read the bible but we are expected to read the bible.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 2:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I want to thank you erdavh for the quote and your response.

I would like to add to the part about reading the bible. The majority of the Mass is right from the Bible. The first and second reading, the responsorial psalms and the Gospel along with much of the Eucharist prayer are all in the bible.

Although we don't routinely say the Hail Mary at Church, the majority of the prayer is in the Bible and the mystery we mediate on while saying the rosary is in the Bible.

Anon, I say this without any hard feelings and I am not bashing you. Judging by your question, you do not have a good grasp on what is the Mass. May I please recommend you first watch a Mass on television? or better yet, just listen. You will hear what we are about.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 3:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

Sure we are! But, if you are the anon that consistently misrepresents Catholic teaching then I'm not really sure there is anything to discuss. To have a valid discussion about Catholic teaching and beliefs you have to understand what Catholic teaching really is, not what it is misrepresented as.

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 4:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009