how did your 3yr old react when you had your newborn??

he already knows that he's going be a big brother... but do you think he understands he's going to have someone he has to share the attention with?

how did your child react??
did you have any problems??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son doestn talk well for a 3 yr old so i dont know if he really understood but he has been so nice too his bro his bro is now 5 mnths old and i have never had anypromblems with him being mean !! only bad thing that ever happen was he tried to pick him up too help him!! but he loves on him all the time ..
    i was blessed
    Anonymous

• I just went through this in July. When she came in the hospital room she got in the bed with me and fell asleep. She acknowledge him but didn't seem to understand. A couple of days later she started acting out a little. Like writing on her arm with a pen. But now she sings to him and makes silly faces. Every once in awhile she wants to hold him. I sometimes notice if i'm baby talking to him she wants me to do the same with her. It will take a little time, but she has improved so much.
    Anonymous

• My son was 3 when we brought home the "little brother" and he was awesome!! We had no jealousy or acting out etc. We never pushed the big brother thing , we let things go naturally. We made sure we still did things my oldest was used to doing like his bedtime routine or making sure there was still some one on one with either of us!
    Actually 3 years is a good span because 3 yr olds are still pretty obedient and yet independent enough to play or look at books while you're busy with the baby!
    My oldest was used to sharing my time anyway because I baby sat my nephew who was the exact same age!
    If you're relaxed and don't overdo the big brother thing, everything should be fine!! Hope all goes well!!!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Our experience was exactly the same as jessa1091. He did so good, and was so excited about a new baby. He was a great helper and he was able to play by himself when I was occupied with his sister. I think 3 years is a great gap, they get along really well and they still like playing together. Don't push it too hard and try to do as much of the same stuff as before and things should be fine.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 5:44 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Mine was awful. He acted up when I was nursing, ran around and tore the house apart all the time, threw tantrums, secluded himself from the rest of the family, and he was told a baby was coming. Baby 'Brother is 6 months old now, and every once in a while he acts up. Today he kicked him in the butt because 'he didn't want him anymore', but it's few and far between now. The more he can do to help out (he likes to throw diapers in the garbage and shake bottles), the better he got, but still (obviously) has his moments. Now he helps feed him crackers, still has garbage duty with diapers, shakes bottles, stirs cereal, etc. As much as I can include him, he gets to help. Newborns are hard though because of the crying, and so much dependence on you. Just when you're feeding, reading a book and let him turn the pages, when the baby's napping, talk to him, etc. Do what you can. Good luck, it goes one way or the other.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009