Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advise on custody for my SIL

My sil is about to have her son anyday now and I have a few questions. She isn't sure who the father is but the guy who thinks it is his wants to be there when the baby is born and wants to be active in the childs life. Well she doesn't want this at all. She wants full custody and for who ever the father is to not be involves with the child at all. What are her options I think it will be very long and nasty. She lives in a two bedroom apt. with my in laws and her brother. She has no job and plans to stay home with the baby. The dad is no better he is a drunk that has been in jail. He has straitened himself out a lot since she got pregnant and has a good paying job and a house. What do you think the courts will do in this situation?

Answer Question

Asked by sarahlu2009 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I think your friend needs to grow up and realize it isn't about her but about the child. Sounds like the dad would be a better choice if he has cleaned his act up. Your friend is a moron and I feel for any child she brings into the world. Only trash doesn't know who the father of their child is. Poor kid.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • No one has any *right* to be present at the birth against the mother's wishes. After the birth the potential fathers would probably have to petition the court for a DNA test; there is nothing he can do until he is declared the father.

    I doubt the courts would take the baby from your SIL unless she is unfit; having sex with more than one man in a short time span does not make her an unfit parent. The "dad's" improvements will be helpful to him and your SIL will likely not be able to keep to child to herself, though she will probably be given preference for the first year or so.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 2:18 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

  • I think your friend needs to speak to a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.