I've recently heard of breaking the amniotic sac to induce labor...good or bad?

Im 40 weeks and 3 days
i have an appt today and was wondering

if i am 4 cm dilated can i request to have the bag of waters broken in hopes to induce labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i wouldn't do it. your labor might not start, baby might no be ready, but then they would want to induce you which can cause all kinds of problems. :) just hang in there, baby will come in the next week or so
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Sure you can request it, but they'd prefer to see you having contractions at a moderate interval apart from each other first. They'd probably want to put on induction medication before they broke your water. My water wasn't broken until I had reached 9 or 10 centimeters
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 2:07 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• dont you mean striipng the bags? cuz unless the doctor orders and indution they wont break your water. i had my membranes stripped at 38 wks but i my labor satll after 8 hts and they had to break my water and give me piticon.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• also with my son my water broke at 5 am and at 11 am i still had no contractions so they had to give me pitocin
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:29 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• This is called "AROM" and needs to be done IF you're admitted and GOING to have your baby now.
    Not good. Because it never NEEDS to be broken, baby can come more gently and in a better position without it rupturing. And it can cause prolapse, infection, force baby into a malposition. It never needs to be broken.

But I am wondering if you meant having the membranes stripped.

That doesn't need to happen, either. It can also add unnecessary risks. Your baby is still inside for a reason, it's so important to respect why. For safety's sake and respect for the baby, no need to do it.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• The doctor wont do that in his office... that is something that he would have to have you set up in the hospital in order to do. You would have to be admitted and on the schedule for an induction

I was induced twice with no pitocin and ONLY had my water broken. I had one baby in 2 1/2 hours and the other in 4 1/2 hours.

But I am pretty sure you mean stripping of the membranes. That is when the doctor moves his/her finger in between the bag of waters & your uterine wall. I think that is what you are meaning. If it is... I had that done 3 times with my DD (once at 4cm and twice at 5cm) and it didnt do anything at all
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2009