how old should a child be to go to school?

panda515

Asked by panda515 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• pre school? I would say when they can talk.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• my kids go to private school and one is in 3k and the other is in the 18m class..she already knows her abcs and numbers and colors... they start a curriculum at 18m and by 4k they will know how to write their names and know how to add.. its great.. my 3 year old already plays uno with us...its crazy.. but so awsome.. i just wish our private school had a second language because she already is learning spanish from dang dora and diego...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• depends on the kid.

middle (6) and youngest (3) started preschool at 3. oldest hated preschool so we waited til kindergarten.

then kindergarten at 5, etc....

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:49 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• My oldest started preschool at 4 and kindergarten at about 5 1/2.

My second is in preschool (he's 3) but there are other circumstances. He will start kindergarten next year when he is just over 4 1/2.

My third will start preschool just before he turns 4 and kindergarten the following year (just before he turns 5)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• depends on the school system where you live and if you can afford it. some places have a nursery school for infants to 2 years old. But both my daughters went to pre-k at 3 years old until 4 1/2. i take that back, only my oldest who is 5 did all that. my 3 1/2 is still in prek. my 5 year old is in Kindergarten since sept 2009
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• My kids never went to preschool never found it to be necessary. The twins started Kindergarten a 4 years old. Their birthday is Nov 30th the cut off where we lived when they started school is Dec 2. My son started at 4 also his birthday is in October. My youngest started at 5 his birthday is in August. All have done well in school they are in 6th, 4th and 2nd grades now. All are the youngest in their schools since we moved to the Midwest. Here they tend to baby kids a bit more and hold them back. My kids are tall for their age so they have not been too affected by it. Since they tend to be a bit more independent they are as mature if not more so than the older kids in their classrooms. You know your kid so go with your gut on this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 5, 2009

• Our preschool starts taking kids at age 3, but I send mine at 4- the year before kindergarten (although I sent my oldest to a second year of preschool when he was 5 and he started kindergarten at 6. He is autistic). I don't think of preschool as an absolute necessity- I just prefer to send mine the year before kindergarten so they can get used to learning in a classroom environment- being away from home, following directions, learning amid other kids- which can be distracting, etc.

In our school district they absolutely will not take any child for kindergarten who is not 5 by Sept. 1st. So, first it depends on your school's age requirements... and then if you have the option to wait you can weigh whether you think your child is ready- or whether they'd benefit from waiting another year.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 12:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2009