What kind of gift for an Autistic Child?

We are going to a Birthday Party next week. The child is from the family of my brother in law.
The child is autistic and will be 8. I know that he goes to a public school for severe handicap students.
What would you buy as a gift?
(it would it be easier to give a gift certificate) but I would really buy something meaningful for the child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Many kids on the spectrum do no like playdoh! If they have a sensory aversion they will avoid it at all costs and might even have a meltdown over it. Things with blinky lights and loud noises are usually avoided too. (some find the blinky lights mesmerizing, but that isn't really helping them) It depends on the child and what his sensory issues are, so I would ask. Toys R Us has a special needs catalog that might be helpful. Be sure to include a gift receipt if you can't ask the parents, just in case.
    Anonymous

• Ask his parents? I'd ask. They usually give you several things the child is interested in. My son is special needs, and was invited to the Birthday party for one of his classmates. IDK what the childs disability is, but when I called to RSVP, I asked what he would like. There is nothing wrong with asking.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ask the parents.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, ask the parents. Kids with autism can have widely varying interests, not to mention that with different sensory issues what would be a perfect gift for one child would be a terrible gift for another.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Clothes. That is what I always get my nephew. He is severely autistic and doesn't really like or notice any toys.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• agreed, when you rsvp ask what to get him, i love it when people ask me what to get my son and then actually get what i tell them to, it is almost like it is my b-day too because i didnt end up with some obnoxiously loud toy that i have to eventually hide! kids on the spectrum are like other kids in that their interests are completely different and individual... i cant tell you waht to get for him without knowing his interests. i do know most kids on the spectrum have adversion to loud noises, things that unpredictable, and are facinated by things of different textures. like play dough, the moon sand, etc.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I have a son living with autism, and I would appreciate being asked what my son would like/need. If you can, ask thechild what he/she would like. If this isn't an option, I would go with a gift card.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Ask his parents, but a good idea is to buy something he is really into. For instance, my child is really into trains, so anything Thomas related would make him jump for joy. Just be sure you don't get something he already has.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:38 PM on Nov. 4, 2009